abdqeb

Looking for a Cross Fire / Over Clocking Combo Build for 3 Monitor Pla

Hello Everyone!

Been floating a while, great board you have here!

I currently have a Phenom II 955 BE on a $40 mobo and running a MSI 7970 Radeon. It runs great with a few hiccups. Looking to upgrade to something that can handle 3 monitors on tweaked ULTRA settings. I am looking for as low a cost as possible, making cuts only where applicable. 

Here is what I am thinking, is this good, bad, over kill?

The Basics (already own):

Power = 850w Corsair

Video Card = 7970 CF (own one)

Case = Not important as long as it is not a death trap

Ram = 1600 Hz 9-9-9-24 (can take advise if you recommend otherwise)

SSD 128GB

The Debate:

Cpu = i5 3470 (looking to OC as much as possible, but never done so before)

Cooler = Hyper 212 Plus

Mobo = ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

Can I save money anywhere? Is the i5 3570K worth extra $40?

Side Note: How important is the MVP feature in a mobo in 1 card and 2 card cases? 

I do accept advice!

Thanks in advance

Power Supply: 850W would seem more than adequate for this build, if you're happy with it there's no need to change, check you have the right connectors and you're away

Video Cards: Obviously it depends on resolution but taking an average of 1680x1050, two HD7970's would be more than adequate for playing on Ultra, although I would recommend you choose a board that has reasonable space for cooling between the cards (I've made this mistake before)

Case: As you say, not really important, but make sure it has excellent cooling potential, two 7970's will get hot. If you're looking for a cheap upgrade, I recommend you look up the XCilo Touch 320

RAM: Providing it's from a reputable vendor (Corsair, Crucial, etc.), I see no reason to upgrade your RAM, it should work fine with your new rig. I would recommend that you have 8GB for gaming

SSD: A 128GB SSD offers greatly improved load times over a HDD, but I would recommend you do have a larger HDD to store games that you don't use so often, else 128GB will get eaten up in no time

CPU: If you are looking to overclock, realistically you need the unlocked clock multiplier on a 'K' processor, so the 3570K is a definate need

Cooler: A Hyper212+ is a perfect beginners cooler, good choice!

Mobo: The Extreme4 would seem perfect for what you are planning to do, good price point, good chipset and good space between PCIe x16 slots. Good choice!

Edited by EuroFight

Thanks for the long and detailed reply!

I read reviews of the i5 3470 of people able to over clock it? It is about $40 more for the 3570k. I dont understand if both are over clockable how is one better than the other?

Processors with a 'K' suffix denotes an unlocked clock multiplier, that allows you to adjust processor clock independent of the FSB (Front Side Bus).

You can overclock by FSB, even with a processor with a locked clock multiplier, but it will also affect memory clock, so you are unlikely to get the maximum overclock possible as your memory or other component will reach its own limit.

There are, however, ways of unlocking your processor's multiplier, but this can brick not only your chip but memory and motherboard, so it is not recommended unless you are proficient.

For these reasons, I would recommend going for the 3570K, or even going down one generation and going for an i5 2600K if your budget is that much of a constraint.

Edited by EuroFight

Thanks for all your help! K Processor it is then. Depending on what I find on sale, either 3570k or 2500k.

Hello again

Okay, so I went with the following (waiting on parts, should have by Monday)

Processor: Intel Core i5-2550K CPU 
Cooling: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 
Graphics Card: Radeon 7970

I went with the 2550k because I heard that it is best for over clocking. Looking to push it as far as possible with the H80. The price for the 2550k was significantly cheaper. Only draw back is the missing graphics core. My Board has MVP, but from what little I read, mvp is not really all that important. Also I plan on a 2nd 7970 sometime in the future (about 6 months), and the MVP becomes usless at that point.

Another draw back is PCI 2.0, but from what I read, 3.0 does not improve performance even on Cross Fire.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am here because reading on one's own can cause tunnel vision (getting the results you want instead of an objective truth).

Now I never over clocked before, anyone got a good starting point for me? I will be googling as well.

Thanks!
Edited by abdqeb

You're right about the difference between PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0. The difference is nominal, even when in CrossFire (4-5fps perhaps), so you're good there.

We do have our own overclocking guide for everyone to use here, so you could take a look there as a starting point. And as always, chances are there is someone here who has the same (or similar) setup as you so they can provide advice suited more to your specific circumstances.

You should be able to pull off a decent OC with the H80, Sandy Bridge chips also run a lot cooler than Ivy Bridge chips (in my experience), so that should be all you need. Chances are you'll hit the limit of the chip itself before temperature becomes an issue, so you're good there.

Dual 7970's will be more than capable of maxxing out most current games on tri-monitor 1080p setup (5760*1080), and a lot of next-gen games aswell, so that's good

Anyway, best of luck with your new rig :thumbsup:

Kindest regards,

- Euro

Thanks for the link! 

I will update again once the I've got the new PC setup. I will do a few benches now to compare after.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the H80 instead of the H80i?  I know there was a significant upgrade in fan and tubing quality with the H80i.

And FWIW, I agree with what Euro has said thus far.  I shouldn't comment on the second 7970 because I have not kept up with that series of cards.  However, you may find that one 7970 suits your needs just fine :)

I went with the H80 because I got a deal on all 3. Mobo + Cpu + Fan. Buying a prebuilt system, reusing the parts I want and reselling my old system. It should cost me $200 for this upgrade.