no dual channel, reported memory 8GB (3.97 GB usable)

I had a strange issue, the computer refused to post twice leading only to a black screen, the third time it booted but I noticed windows was reporting my memory as 8GB (3.97 GB usable) and that i was in single chanel. All my settings should be fine the only thing I changed that day was that I fetched all my updates at the same time. When I assembled this system the memory worked fine and in dual channel. I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64bit, an asrock 970 extreme3, 2X4GB gskill ripjaws the phenom 2 X4 975 black edition CPU and an XFX Radeon 7950 3GB black edtion.

ram pn: f3-12800cl9s-4gbrl

Sounds like that motherboard doesn't like your ram. Turn off your overclocks and set the ram voltage to what the sticks need. Than run memtest86 and see If you get errors

Edited by hornybluecow

Thanks for the reply! This is unfortunately a false alarm, I discovered that one fo the sticks was toast and it was just posting with it anyway. When tested seperately one stick posts and one doesn't. (guess breaking in my new board by encoding 72 hours of dvd two pass H264 wasnt kosher :P)