Fans for watercooling

skyjam

Which leads back to my original recommendation of the Excalibur with 3.53 mmH2O. I use them on all three of my rads and they will suck a postcard up against my XT45mm x 360mm from three inches away LOL

:P

Excalibur (R4-EXBB-20PK-R0)                        1.jpg

Model
R4-EXBB-20PK-R0
Dimension
120x120x25
Speed (R.P.M.)
600 - 2000 RPM

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another factor to consider is where you will place the fans. This is a none issue if you are setting up for Push/Pull. However if you are using a single fan ( 2 for a 240mm radiator) then my experience has been to set these up to PUSH through the radiator. The reason for this is that is easier to push and overcome resistance than it is to pull through it. I have consistently seen lower temps with closed loops when set to push. Not a huge difference, often only 2C or so but when you can gain an advantage for free you should use it.

Well there are two factors to my placement of the fans. One of which is that I didn't have enough fans to have a push/pull set up, but the second is that I have my rad crammed into the top of the case and unless I remove my top grill I only have enough room to have a push setup.  Which I suppose is good that I set it up for push instead of pull.  

As for noise level unfortunately it isn't only me that has to suffer from the noise of my current set up as I live with my girlfriend.  My ultimate goal is to quiet things down not only for myself but also for her while also trying to improve on performance.  I have looked into the cougar and excalibur fans and I definitely like their specifications but in the interest of finances i'm curious... what was stonerboy779  talking about with the "fail safe yate loons"? 

Yate Loon Electronics Co., Ltd. is a leading DC fan and cooler manufacturer in Taiwan and China. Yate Loon specialize in Yate Loon DC Fan and Yate Loon 12 volt computer fans. They can be found here    http://www.frozencpu.com/brands/brand/b119/Yate_Loon.html

Ok so they are kind of a basic fan that's at a good price but has better features than a basic fan..

Here is another question I have been pondering the cooler master sickleflow fans that I have now are at dBA of 19 (without the bad bearings) and the Cougars that have been suggested are at a dBA of 17.9 and everyone seems to say that the cougar fans are quiet.  So my question is can they really be that much quieter, or is there something about the airflow that each fan produces that makes the noise level different?

you kind of have to take noise ratings with a grain of salt. I think the ratings have liberties taken with them. for example I have Excaliburs on all of my rads (rated 30dB) and the Cougars (rated 19dB) and there is very little difference in sound level between them.

another word of advice on your radiator fans. you want high static pressure. (at least 2.0 mmH2O) dont confuse high CFM for a good radiator fan. If it it has low static pressure it will be very ineffective. 

I am going to guess he meant that they are inexpensive. The problem they have for rad fans is very low static pressure, and sleeve bearings (the cheapest type of bearings)

Yate Loons are quite good for radiators. Many manufacturers simply lie about specs.

I wonder how the Excalibur fan would work on a Corsair H-100 using the 4-pin to 3-pin adaptor to plug into the Corsair fan headers on block to control fan speeds. I need new fans and this fan looks damn nice except question about Corsairs speed control using 3-pin adaptor.

I wonder how the Excalibur fan would work on a Corsair H-100 using the 4-pin to 3-pin adaptor to plug into the Corsair fan headers on block to control fan speeds. I need new fans and this fan looks damn nice except question about Corsairs speed control using 3-pin adaptor.

I honestly wouldn't use an open frame fan on any heatsink or rad with any amount of resistance...

I wonder how the Excalibur fan would work on a Corsair H-100 using the 4-pin to 3-pin adaptor to plug into the Corsair fan headers on block to control fan speeds. I need new fans and this fan looks damn nice except question about Corsairs speed control using 3-pin adaptor.

I honestly wouldn't use an open frame fan on any heatsink or rad with any amount of resistance...

So you aren't a fan (no pun intended) of the Excalibur because of the open frame design? Cause I was curious myself if static pressure is what makes the best rad fan wouldn't having a solid frame to guide the air be a better decision? 

I use scythe 120mm kaze jun 1300 rpm pwm fans. They do very well with all the radiators i have used in the past from swiftech radiator to both of xspc ex rs and rx series radiator. They are a little noisy but them being pwm they can be controller by the cpu fan header.

So you aren't a fan (no pun intended) of the Excalibur because of the open frame design? Cause I was curious myself if static pressure is what makes the best rad fan wouldn't having a solid frame to guide the air be a better decision?

if the blades are designed properly a cage would barely matter unless you are talking about pin hole size exhaust. Certain fans are just not built well and will push air through the path of least resistance but better fans can direct it by the blade design. Make sense.