Fans for watercooling

skyjam

Note taken about the fan controllers thanks.  As for plugging the fans into the mobo I avoid that anyway because I have heard that it wears out the mobo so I have the 3-pin to molex adapters. Although I really don't like them cause they look trashy and clog my cable management up but its not like anyone could see it because it is hidden behind the mobo tray.  I'm not too concerned with RPM monitoring either I mean I couldn't imagine I'll be doing anything to stressful to be concerned with that... although splitting that wire is a handy tip to know.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I got 4 Excalibur fans and now looking at fan controllers. Are there any 4 pin to 3 pin adapters out there?

Good move  :thumbsup:

Mine came with the adapters, check your box's

Ha, they are in the top section! Got so excited with the new fans that didn't look in the rest of the box lol  :lol: Now I'll nab a decent controller. Seriously just got an email about controller from newegg. Kinda freaking me out right after I started thinking about it.

It depends on your sensitivity for sound. The Excalibur I have on all three of my rads and they have a pleasant and very tolerable pith to them for me. Maybe Ed has an diffrent opinion on the sound aspect. I started out with the cougars and switched to the Excalibur's because of the static pressure which seems to have a rather steep curve (that is, it seems to retain a disproportionate amount of its pressure even at lower RPMs) 

Can a mod delete two of these posts please, no idea what happened here.

thank you

What's this means?I just want to say I can't make sure of the machine at the first sight I meet it in the supermarket!

I don't use fan controllers for CPU/GPU cooling. They have a tendency to go bad, and if they blow, the fans stop working and the CPU/GPU start getting hotter and hotter. A good old adapter works best. Never had one of those go bad on me.

^^ Or the traditional 5V-12V switching technique also works..

But, some of the present day fan controllers, specially which have ~30Watt per channel are good enough and they don't go bad that often..

i.e. NZXT sentry mesh, mix, Bitfenix hydra pro etc etc.

I don't use fan controllers for CPU/GPU cooling. They have a tendency to go bad, and if they blow, the fans stop working and the CPU/GPU start getting hotter and hotter. A good old adapter works best. Never had one of those go bad on me.

Just like all electronics it's luck of the draw. I've been using fan controllers since the Vantec Tornado's were the fan to have and have never had one fail on me.

I've had my current cheapo Sunbeam for about 3 years now, and my computer is on 24/7.