Fans for watercooling

skyjam

I'm pretty new to watercooling and my old fans have begun (some are even far beyond begun) to fail and I was just wondering if there were certain types of specifications that I should be looking for in new fans for both the case and the radiator.  The current set up I have is the XSPC rasa kit and it is just running on the CPU not cooling the GPU and its all in a Corsair Carbide 500R.  Any suggestions? I would prefer quite as my current fans are pretty loud and I am getting tired of the noise level.  Thanks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the radiator fans the key spec is the static pressure. You want fans that are at least 2mm H2O

I use these on all of my rads, they are quiet and at 3.53mm H2O move a lot of air through a rad.

They have Barometric ball bearings /100,000 Hr life

1.jpg

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2965&product_name=Excalibur%20(R4-EXBB-20PK-R0)

If you want ultra quiet, The Cougar fans are rated at 2.2 mmH2O at 19d

These have Hydro-dynamic bearing /300,000 Hr

2_03.jpg

http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/vortex_pwm.html

A good  case fan are the Noctua NF P14's They don't have a lot of static pressure to be used on rads, but move a lot of air quietly.

noctua_nf_p14_1.jpg

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=33&lng=en&set=1

I use the Excalibur for my rads, and the Cougars for my case fans. and that was after a lot of trial and error.

I use the Excalibur for my rads, and the Cougars for my case fans. and that was after a lot of trial and error.

Reading though this I was just thinking.... "where did all the cougar fans go?" haha :lol: I think you need to update you very old now, thread about your PC chuck in your latest Haven 3.0 bench which is quite insane I must say.

Reading though this I was just thinking.... "where did all the cougar fans go?" haha :lol: I think you need to update you very old now, thread about your PC chuck in your latest Haven 3.0 bench which is quite insane I must say.

what!? old?...old? :P

I think you lost me there M  :unsure:

what!? old?...old? :P

I think you lost me there M :unsure:

Haha doesn't matter.

@OP second what red said and offer up some more fans to consider.

The rather costly Scyth Gentle Typhoon's high airflow and pressure with relatively low noise.

And on the cheaper side the fail safe yate loons that can be gotten for less than $4 a pop and offer fantastic performance for price and very reasonable noise levels.

I have used Corsairs SP120 which has a static pressure pretty close to the Excalibur and been real happy with them. However I will give the Excalibur props for the PWM function which would push them to the top of my list.

Are you running the fans you have on you're radiator at 12v? If so, then no wonder they are loud. Those Xinrulian fans are supposed to be quite good. 

You mean they are quieter than Noctua fans?

It depends on your sensitivity for sound. The Excalibur I have on all three of my rads and they have a pleasant and very tolerable pitch to them for me. Maybe Ed has an diffrent opinion on the sound aspect. I started out with the cougars and switched to the Excalibur's because of the static pressure which seems to have a rather steep curve (that is, it seems to retain a disproportionate amount of its pressure even at lower RPMs) 

It depends on your sensitivity for sound. The Excalibur I have on all three of my rads and they have a pleasant and very tolerable pith to them for me. Maybe Ed has an diffrent opinion on the sound aspect. I started out with the cougars and switched to the Excalibur's because of the static pressure which seems to have a rather steep curve (that is, it seems to retain a disproportionate amount of its pressure even at lower RPMs) 

It depends on your sensitivity for sound. The Excalibur I have on all three of my rads and they have a pleasant and very tolerable pith to them for me. Maybe Ed has an diffrent opinion on the sound aspect. I started out with the cougars and switched to the Excalibur's because of the static pressure which seems to have a rather steep curve (that is, it seems to retain a disproportionate amount of its pressure even at lower RPMs) 

Can a mod delete two of these posts please, no idea what happened here.

thank you