Done With Ms, What Now?

Ghost2520

I think I'm done with MS, I hate their customer service, I've had to reinstall windows 3 times this week because of corrupt system files. I'm done. I'm pretty sure I am going to switch to a dual boot system, Linux be my main OS and have windows 2000 just for games at LAN parties. Well I have questions about linux. 1.Can someone post pictures of what it looks like as far as the desktop etc.

2.Also, which linux would be best for me if I want to: watch DVD's, use AIM (instant messenger), watch other videos (you can watch avi and mpeg movies in linux right?), and cruise OCC.

3. Is the Mandrake linux what I am looking for? I'm basically a newb and know NOTHING about linux. If I get it, I'll be using it probably 30 out of 31 days in the month and only use Windows at the LAN parties I go to.

4. Does Linux still use NTFS file system? If not how do I format for it...

EDIT: Just realised I accidentally put this in the wrong category, would a mod please move it. :)

Edited by Ghost2520

1. Let me finish my install and sure, ill show you

2. Best OS... depends on how much you want to learn/be challenged - I use FreeBSD which is pretty challenging to install/detup and is techinally not linux. I started with RedHat 8 and then went to Slackware then Gentoo....

3. Sure

4. It never did... It will come with a partitioning utility called fdisk/cfdisk... cfdisk is better.... Linux uses ResierFS, ext3 or ext2 and can read/write to FAT partitions... NTFS == nono in the linux world

I'll look into it right now... the only problem so far seems to be finding programs for linux, the extras I mean. I've found Quicktime, Divx, AIM, and some older versions of DirectX. I can't seem to find any of those cool extras though such as wallpaper changer, and programs that convert mpeg/avi videos into screen savers... if you know of sites with programs just for Linux please post links. :)

well... freeBSD and gentoo have a thing called ports (FreeBSD) and portage (Gentoo) that is a lot of ebuilds that you can install... it is basically a list of programs and an easy installer that comes with them... they are orginized into catagories so it would be easy to find whatever you need

I'd DEFINATELY reccommend mandrake linux for what you want. Its easy to use and install, and loosk great too. Its a perfect transition for someone fed up with windows. Also, it comes with a great software suite, and is the easiest distro to install (imo). It has a built in partition resizer/creator in the installation that will guide you through the process of installation.

And, the looks of the system depends on which windows manager you use (think of it as a shell). Most people use KDE though, so I'll try to find a picture of a KDE desktop. Here is the barebone kde desktop, keep in mind there is a LOT of room for improvement and customization. :)

firstkdedesk.gif

when you said it looks great, it is the window manager for the x windowing system... you can get thesame look off of any distry as X is under the GNU as well as most of the Window Managers... such as KDE

Well I want Lindows, but that costs money so I think I am going to go with Mandrake. I believe the latest Maximum PC had a thing on Mandrake, I might go take a look at that later today. :) Also which mandrake do I need to download? i586 or PPC? I think i586... also is CD1 the only required CD, CD contains extra software, and CD3 is for different languages and stuff right? I think I'm going to my friends house later this weekend to use his CD burner... (mine makes grinding noises and spits out the CD's <_< )

1.Can someone post pictures of what it looks like as far as the desktop etc.

Linux Desktop varies depending on what window manager you use (Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, etc.) Best place to see the way the desktop "could" look would be to goto themes.fressmeat.org and browse through the themes. Linux desktop is extreamly custimizable.

2.Also, which linux would be best for me if I want to: watch DVD's, use AIM (instant messenger), watch other videos (you can watch avi and mpeg movies in linux right?), and cruise OCC.

RedHat/Fedora would be my vote. Mandrake is also pretty newb friendly.

3. Is the Mandrake linux what I am looking for? I'm basically a newb and know NOTHING about linux. If I get it, I'll be using it probably 30 out of 31 days in the month and only use Windows at the LAN parties I go to.

Posibably. Only way to find out is to try it.

4. Does Linux still use NTFS file system? If not how do I format for it...

No. NTFS is a Windows File System. Linux has several choices of file systems, and you'll format when installing, just as you would when clean installing Windows.

Well this is how I rate Linux Distros due to my experiences:

1. Redhat = For the commercial user and wants a good server distro and

updates on demand to fix exploits instantly.

2. Mandrake = For the new user and easy to install from start to finish.

Partitioning is also a breeze.

3. Slackware = For the user that wants speed and efficiency, good for server

purposes and easy to configure startup services using

pkgtool.

4. Knoppix = CD Bootable distro that does not effect your currently

operating systems, no modification to the MBR.