Done With Ms, What Now?

Ghost2520

I think I'm going to download both Fedora and Mandrake... try them both out. Since it formats, and my max blaster thing when it partitions the drives it automatically puts them as NTFS formatting system. Should I go like this, Have max blast format half the drive as NTFS (for my windows installation) and the other half just be left as all 0's so that Linux can format that as it chooses?

Kevin: Actually, Mandrake has changed things alot with KDE. Everything has a very clean, professional look. When i say it looks great, I mean the whole package. For example, the installer is nothing like some of the less user-friendly distros (ie: slackware) where you have to navigate a text-filled screen. Its a point and click installer that looks great. Likewise the mandrake control center and logon screens are great for a new user.

I've used slackware, redhat, mandrake and debian, and I can honestly say I think mandrake looks the best. :)

Everywhere I go, people say Mandrake so I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going to use... another question, when I go to a website and it says their software is also available for Linux, will it work on all Linux OS's? Linux is just the kernel if I am not mistaken right?

Linux works off a kernel, such as 2.4.20, 2.4.22, or 2.4.24, so distrobutions are usually never a hassle (cept for Slackware's not existant RPM support!). However, Linux software doesn't look at the kernel as the only dependency, it also looks for more such as glibc, or gtk, etc.

Kevin: Actually, Mandrake has changed things alot with KDE. Everything has a very clean, professional look. When i say it looks great, I mean the whole package. For example, the installer is nothing like some of the less user-friendly distros (ie: slackware) where you have to navigate a text-filled screen. Its a point and click installer that looks great. Likewise the mandrake control center and logon screens are great for a new user.

I've used slackware, redhat, mandrake and debian, and I can honestly say I think mandrake looks the best. :)

OK... I will install KDE tonight...

Though it's not hard to do in command line, does mandrake have a package installer like SUSE does with it's control center and Yast? I am using Suse right now, and I really like it, the package manager, harware config, and online updates are great... I went to redhat for a while, didn't like it, but never tried mandrake, I might if I find some reason to... The real question is, is there any features that stand out in mandrake that makes it "uber" easy....

How can you say one looks the best?

Doesn't matter what distro you have, you'll either use KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, BlackBox, FluxBox, IceWM, CDM, Ximian Desktop 2, or another window manager.

Each distro doesn't have a "look"... a theme maybe, but that theme can be used on any distro.... i.e. RedHat's Bluecurve theme for Gnome.

• 3 months later...
How can you say one looks the best?

Doesn't matter what distro you have, you'll either use KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, BlackBox, FluxBox, IceWM, CDM, Ximian Desktop 2, or another window manager.

Each distro doesn't have a "look"... a theme maybe, but that theme can be used on any distro.... i.e. RedHat's Bluecurve theme for Gnome.

I think what he means is the process from poping-in the install cd to the first time X starts.

Reword things a little->"mandrake looks the best" to "has a smooth install and is configured nicely by default."