Windows Security Update Cd For Free

H2O

To those who do not know this... Microsoft is offering to mail you their Windows Security Update CD for free. The Security Updates are all updates up to Oct. 2003 and are valid for Windows Xp all the way to Windows 98.

Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

One of the catches is that Microsoft is also bundling a free antivirus and firewall trial software. <_<

I dont know why thats a catch? Im guessing you dont have to install the trials if you dont want to.

Anyway, I ordered mine tonight, Cant wait to get it. Even when Im on cable i hate having to dl from windows update all night. This will be good.

i also ordered one for my self. i have made a cd like this for when i make house calls to ppl with 56k.

as for sp2 for xp. the beta is already out for it. but i will not install a beta sp from microsoft, they want us to work out the bugs, i don't think so

i also ordered one for my self. i have made a cd like this for when i make house calls to ppl with 56k.

as for sp2 for xp. the beta is already out for it. but i will not install a beta sp from microsoft, they want us to work out the bugs, i don't think so

Me either there are enough bugs in the none beta ones or so called fixes that they have to make a fix for the fix!! :withstupid:

SP2 was already released for WinXP...it's not a beta....however, it's ONLY if you didn't install SP1. SP2 includes SP1 and something else, i forget what....If you already have SP1, however, and have kept up with critical updates, MS says something about them recommending you do NOT install SP2. I'm too lazy to go search for the exact site, but go search microsoft if you don't believe me.

I dont know why thats a catch? Im guessing you dont have to install the trials if you dont want to.

The reason I mentioned the trial software as a catch is that some ppl who do receive the CD might be interested in seeing what the software looks like.

That is a marketing strategy whereby Microsoft is not really providing the CDs for free, but instead pushing the CDs to tempt some ppl to try the additional software. It's kind of what AOL does with sending their AOL CDs in the mail to everybody on GOD's green earth!

Maybe the word 'catch' was not put in good use in my sentence, but I meant it as my explanation of the marketing idea.

Good stuff, prolly for the best considering i have never used windows update before... :D

Now i can just do it all at once and i wont have problems with faulty downloads and the such.

Danke for the link :P:rolleyes::blink::ph34r:

sure guys, now, just make sure you follow every step to the detail, especially the options in your burning program, if one single thing is a little off it won't boot

second time was a charm for me ;)

Also for a similar thing, you can go get Autopatcher, its a cd that has all the current updates and some extras like media player 9, .NET framework, etc. All on one cd, and they keep it updated monthly. So far its up to January's updates.

Isn't the MS update CD only good for the updates up to Oct 2003?

Thanks to whoever posted the link for the custom XP install CDs