Is there a difference between onboard S/PDIF Optical Toslink output VS

Stealth3si

In terms of sound quality and number of discrete audio channels (stereo vs 5.1), is there a noticeable difference between my computer's onboard soundcard's S/PDIF Optical Toslink output versus MSI Radeon Asus 7850 HDMI sound output?

Originally, I wanted to hear my PC games via my computer's discrete Asus DX sound card's S/PDIF Optical Toslink output to my Denon 1712's S/PDIF Optical Toslink input but the Asus's S/PDIF Optical Toslink output didn't work (it broke), so I'm currently hearing my PC games via my video card's HDMI output.

If I wanted to hear my PC games via my computer onboard Realtek sound card's S/PDIF Optical Toslink output, I must buy an optical cable to connect to my Denon 1712 receiver but before I could waste money I was wondering if anyone knows from experience if I would get the same high quality digital 5.1 sound coming from MSI Radeon Asus 7850 HDMI sound output?

yeah, don't bother to get a toslink cable. i doubt you could hear such any difference between those 2 cables.

that Denon 1712 plus your set of speakers would be the heart of your audio system IMO.

edit:

i tried coaxial vs toslink... found no difference :dunno:

Edited by sword_fish

For your games it won't make a difference.

Movies, it might. Depending what format. Dvd will be fine either hdmi or toslink.

Blu Ray on the other hand will benefit from hdmi which will allow HD audio like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD and there is a difference.

But,if you decide to watch a blu using toslink, the audio will be stripped down to core dts or Dolby digital(dd).

Edited by Vooduu