Gun control

Coors

And Obama trots out little kids who wrote him letters as he gets ready to change gun law by executive priviledge.  Ladies and gentlemen, Democracy in America is officially dead.

Democracy was dead a long time before today

Obama is just the man of the hour, riding a wave of collective mindlessness since the Newtown shooting.  The roots of our being screwed go much deeper, the whole system is completely corrupt, owned lock stock and barrel by huge corporations.  If they want something the people don't, they just attach it to a "must pass" bill and it's a done deal.  No tragedy goes unexploited, terrorist acts get us the patriot act and executive orders allowing American citizens to be detrained without rights. and without cause.  Food safety scares get us an Agriculture sectetary with ties to Monsanto, and an FDA head who came directly from Monsanto.  The list goes on and on.

What we won't get:  An executive order ordering that all food sources be labelled especially for GMO's.  An order limiting campaign contributions to $100, taking the money out of politics.  An order abolishing the capital gains tax rate so hedge fund managers have to pay the same taxes as everyone else.  An order ending oil futures speculation which benefits only wealthy parasites, and could instantly drop the price of gas over a dollar a gallon.  the list goes on...

Yes we are scewed.

• Like 1

Obama is just the man of the hour, riding a wave of collective mindlessness since the Newtown shooting.  The roots of our being screwed go much deeper, the whole system is completely corrupt, owned lock stock and barrel by huge corporations.  If they want something the people don't, they just attach it to a "must pass" bill and it's a done deal.  No tragedy goes unexploited, terrorist acts get us the patriot act and executive orders allowing American citizens to be detrained without rights. and without cause.  Food safety scares get us an Agriculture sectetary with ties to Monsanto, and an FDA head who came directly from Monsanto.  The list goes on and on.

What we won't get:  An executive order ordering that all food sources be labelled especially for GMO's.  An order limiting campaign contributions to $100, taking the money out of politics.  An order abolishing the capital gains tax rate so hedge fund managers have to pay the same taxes as everyone else.  An order ending oil futures speculation which benefits only wealthy parasites, and could instantly drop the price of gas over a dollar a gallon.  the list goes on...

Yes we are scewed.

+1 

May I also mention, Media bias and censoring the internet via Sopa/Pipa and various other attempts that are now slowly succeeding.

Yes we are screwed.

Well the supreme court can still rule it unconstitutional, and from what I heard (keep in mind I heard this on the tv at work, so I wasn't able to hear it very well) the executive order sounded like it was going to be voted on. 

So I would say that the fat lady hasn't started signing yet, but she is drinking tea and humming a few bars. 

As soon as they amend the right to bear arms.........well lets just say I am buying a jacket and moving closer to a NCIX store :wave: 

I am trying to find a copy of the executive order. There were a couple things that I didn't mind like better back ground checks, and more security in schools. Will it do much? I really don't know but my gut says no.

The thing that I don't like is the whole 10 round limit. I think that is soooooo stupid. That doesn't stop the wrong people from getting guns, it just changes the game. Plus, if obama wants to put extra security everywhere, I want the same fire power they have. Letting your police force have more fire power than civilians has been a classical lead into dictatorship in history. 

Yeah, just wait until your name shows up on a "no fly list" or "can't purchase firearms list" in error and see what kind of hell you have to go through in order to get it fixed.  The ICS database is only as good as the data that gets fed into it.  Now imagine the thousands upon thousands of barely McDonald qualified government employees that are responsible for management and oversight of that system.

Many of you old timers may remember my story of somehow showing up on a "no fly list" and getting stranded in Chicago.  It took me months to finally get that straightened out.

However, I'm encouraged and even emboldened by some of the recent emails I've received from my representatives here in Arkansas, and those I've read from other states too.  Even law enforcement is starting to pipe in now...... finally.

This is an issue that I really believe has the potential to rip our country apart.

One of my best reads of the day;

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/15/why-am-newly-minted-member-nra/

A liberal Jew opining on why he just joined the NRA - go figure.

well let us see how this goes. Maybe instead of going the way of Rome we may be headed in a direction like the USSR or Japan..  one of the first thing Stalin did was disarm his own people...

Obama has said nothing about taking guns away. All the new laws do is gather data. Unless you're a dribbling lunatic or a criminal, you will still be able to buy guns just as you do now. For the record, the supreme court already ruled on what the second amendment grants you, either a shotgun or a pistol to protect your property.

I really think some of the people here are living in some kind of bubble. Reality isn't getting in.

These are those executive orders. Some are worthwhile some will be a waste of taxpayer dollar that could go to reducing $16.438,090,316,411.33 in national debt. Current gun control laws are perfectly fine. Mental health issues with people need the most work. Gun stuff should be last.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.

4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to healthcare providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency-response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within Affordable Care Act exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Edited by iluvstrats2

Obama has said nothing about taking guns away. All the new laws do is gather data. Unless you're a dribbling lunatic or a criminal, you will still be able to buy guns just as you do now. For the record, the supreme court already ruled on what the second amendment grants you, either a shotgun or a pistol to protect your property.

I really think some of the people here are living in some kind of bubble. Reality isn't getting in.

I'd like a link to that.  Because I recall the SCOTUS ruling that the 2nd Amendment was meant to protect an individual's right after the DC handgun ban was determined to be unconstitutional.