Gun control

Coors

I am curious, the big proposal and push right now is for stronger background checks when you buy a gun. How is this supposed to help? I mean a background check does not in any way help you know if a person is going to one day snap mentally. A background check will not do any good against illegal guns. I mean I do understand the reasoning for it but it will not stop people from killing people with guns.

No, it won't stop people from killing with guns. But if you make this law harsher, then anyone who has a history of any kind of violence or breaking the law cannot legally buy a firearm. Most of the killings with firearms are done by gangs/repeat criminals. Filtering them out of the legal ownership side means you don't have to look at the legal side as much and focus more on the illegal gun trade (which is by far one of the worst problems in the US). Don't punish us law-abiding citizens from using our constitutional right to own and operate a firearm, whether it be for self-defense or for sport use.

I served in the US Army as a Combat Engineer and Infantryman for quite a few years, and I have never broken a law besides minor traffic laws. I am a firm believer in the law and try to help other people to not break it. I also own an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun, and would like to purchase more in the future. Do you really think I should be punished for what a very small percentage does? I didn't think so.

There is already rules in position that stop convicted criminals from legally owning a firearm. Also take into account that a huge majority of gun crimes are done with illegally owned weapons, thus making rules to stop owning a gun meaningless in stopping the crimes. The background check system as it stands will not filter out the issues with behavior. I do agree with you BTW that the legal owners should not be punished. I am pointing out that all the ideas to fix this problem are actually placebos that do nothing.

But it doesn't stop people that previous infractions with minor violence cases, etc. The background check system is very poor and does not have access to everything. In my opinion, it is kind of stupid that I can go to a gun store and within 30minutes walk out with an AR-15 or AK47 with hundreds of rounds of ammo. It should be a few days at least so that a thorough check can be done. And I am a major pro-gun guy.

Not in favor of gun control.  One of my school projects was to prove why I felt the Brady Bill was ineffective.

That said, one thing people keep saying that is simply not true is that most of the guns were purchased illegally.  Whether talking mass shooting or typical crimes, most guns were purchased legally.  What makes it very difficult to distinguish the difference is typically 35% of those guns used came from a friend or relative.  It really depends on the scenario to say if the gun was "acquired" legally from the friend/relative or not.

As that one video Bubba posted, most (though obviously not all) of those crimes are typically gang violence or domestic dispute.  You can assume most of the gang violence attributes to high percentage of guns from the black market or drug dealers.  Just like much of the domestic disputes probably attribute to legally purchased guns obtained from friends and family.

Yes, in the mass shootings those guns were legal. But the real issue is all the weapons used in gang crimes and guns used by repeat offenders. The percentage of those crimes with illegal firearms grossly outnumbers by a huge % the crimes committed with legal firearms.

It just keeps getting better, there seems now to be a competition among states to have the "toughest gun laws".  People are such lemmings it makes me want to puke.

The background check system is very poor and does not have access to everything.

The problem is it can never be enough. I mean if we made it a requirement that gun owners submit to pee testing every week, as well as alcohol screening, psych evals every 14 days and anyone that has ever been in a fist fight from the age of 5 up cannot own a gun it would still not be enough. The reason is that if someone wants to kill people they will find a way. In fact I am surprised that these people use guns. Homemade bombers are easier to get and would kill a lot more people.

The fact is you cannot legislate away crazy. People will do what they do and making laws that do nothing but hurt the majority of people that abide by the law is STUPID!

Everyone keeps looking for blame to place here. People blame guns, they blame video games, they blame movies. You know the blame for this is simple, it was the wack job that pulled the trigger. He did it, what influenced him is not relavent unless it was to brainwash him like a cult and even then he would choose to be part.

• Like 2

The background check system is very poor and does not have access to everything.

The problem is it can never be enough. I mean if we made it a requirement that gun owners submit to pee testing every week, as well as alcohol screening, psych evals every 14 days and anyone that has ever been in a fist fight from the age of 5 up cannot own a gun it would still not be enough. The reason is that if someone wants to kill people they will find a way. In fact I am surprised that these people use guns. Homemade bombers are easier to get and would kill a lot more people.

The fact is you cannot legislate away crazy. People will do what they do and making laws that do nothing but hurt the majority of people that abide by the law is STUPID!

Everyone keeps looking for blame to place here. People blame guns, they blame video games, they blame movies. You know the blame for this is simple, it was the wack job that pulled the trigger. He did it, what influenced him is not relavent unless it was to brainwash him like a cult and even then he would choose to be part.

+1

One issue that I think hasn't been thoroughly touched on; gun trafficking. Since we do have a border with Mexico, a third-world country with much more crime and corruption, it is reasonable to presume many of the illegal weapons here come from there. What is necessary is some alliance with Mexico, to get them to crack down on gun trafficking. The main issue with that as I see it, is that much of the revenue comes from drug dealing, so the Mexican government sort of bats an eye at it. No matter how you look at it, there is a stream of illegal weapons coming to the US. Whether it comes from our side or Mexico's side, something needs to be done about it.

I still think more needs to be done on our side to stop nutters like James Yeager, but there is more to it than just that.

I agree, but these laws that are being passed in NY and other places are not going to solve ANYTHING.

One issue that I think hasn't been thoroughly touched on; gun trafficking. Since we do have a border with Mexico, a third-world country with much more crime and corruption, it is reasonable to presume many of the illegal weapons here come from there. What is necessary is some alliance with Mexico, to get them to crack down on gun trafficking. The main issue with that as I see it, is that much of the revenue comes from drug dealing, so the Mexican government sort of bats an eye at it. No matter how you look at it, there is a stream of illegal weapons coming to the US. Whether it comes from our side or Mexico's side, something needs to be done about it.

I still think more needs to be done on our side to stop nutters like James Yeager, but there is more to it than just that.

The Mexican government doesn't care about what it's people do. Just look at the drug cartels, they practically own parts of Mexico.

Finally had a chance to watch the entire video of that Japanese nut job - and honestly that is one of the sickest things I've ever watched.  Ranks right up there with the beheading videos.  

Would you believe youtube recommended me that particular video based upon watching a top gear episode about the ferrari itallia 458?

And Obama trots out little kids who wrote him letters as he gets ready to change gun law by executive priviledge.  Ladies and gentlemen, Democracy in America is officially dead.