Gun control

Coors

Here is hopping that the changes of the website haven't seriously messed up the editing buttons. 

The absolute best argument to keep guns. 

..ok the buttons on the editor aren't working either. Only watch this video if absolutely necessary, if there was a rating like for a movie it would be like a XXXXXXXXX video. Seriously, the details are worse that at the holocaust museum in DC.

The flip side is that after watching this video, you will start  tapping glocks to your legs.  

I had to go to youtube to watch it ???

The video just underscores the real issue, that in any human society, there are monsters walking amongst us.  We're wasting our time talking about gun laws, we need to be talking about how to contain the monsters before they commit their horrific crimes.  Gun control is easy, pass some palliative laws, feel better until you discover they don't work.  Dealing with dangerous members of society has myriad implications with constitutional rights, how to pay for it, etc..., but we need to get started if we want to prevent some of the violence.  Nobody seems to be on board with the most obvious response though, be as safe and as vigilant as you can, and accept that you can't prevent every bad thing.

cars kill people as do planes why dont we get rid off them......................
but when you really think about it i ask you who is really responsible for all these killings its people
i wish there was a way to get rid off them... oh ya there is its called capital punishment
if one takes a life their life should be taken problem solved
use a gun to commit a crime serve min 25 years
obtain a gun illegally serve min 25 years
commit a dangerous crime involving a gun and a child recieve a min life sentence
harm a child with a gun min capital punishment
i promise you if any one of these were to be made into law things would change

Edited by jdm_freek

I am curious, the big proposal and push right now is for stronger background checks when you buy a gun. How is this supposed to help? I mean a background check does not in any way help you know if a person is going to one day snap mentally. A background check will not do any good against illegal guns. I mean I do understand the reasoning for it but it will not stop people from killing people with guns.

I am curious, the big proposal and push right now is for stronger background checks when you buy a gun. How is this supposed to help? I mean a background check does not in any way help you know if a person is going to one day snap mentally. A background check will not do any good against illegal guns. I mean I do understand the reasoning for it but it will not stop people from killing people with guns.

Actually, I do understand it....It's called "Feel good politics", ,makes folks feel good but serves no real purpose.

• Like 1

No, it won't stop people from killing with guns. But if you make this law harsher, then anyone who has a history of any kind of violence or breaking the law cannot legally buy a firearm. Most of the killings with firearms are done by gangs/repeat criminals. Filtering them out of the legal ownership side means you don't have to look at the legal side as much and focus more on the illegal gun trade (which is by far one of the worst problems in the US). Don't punish us law-abiding citizens from using our constitutional right to own and operate a firearm, whether it be for self-defense or for sport use.

I served in the US Army as a Combat Engineer and Infantryman for quite a few years, and I have never broken a law besides minor traffic laws. I am a firm believer in the law and try to help other people to not break it. I also own an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun, and would like to purchase more in the future. Do you really think I should be punished for what a very small percentage does? I didn't think so.

How many violent offenders, repeat offenders, felony offenders, gang members, drug dealers etc. try and legally purchase a firearm.  Fair question that I really don't know the answer to, but I'm guessing that the number is close to zero.  

No, it won't stop people from killing with guns. But if you make this law harsher, then anyone who has a history of any kind of violence or breaking the law cannot legally buy a firearm. Most of the killings with firearms are done by gangs/repeat criminals. Filtering them out of the legal ownership side means you don't have to look at the legal side as much and focus more on the illegal gun trade (which is by far one of the worst problems in the US). Don't punish us law-abiding citizens from using our constitutional right to own and operate a firearm, whether it be for self-defense or for sport use.

I served in the US Army as a Combat Engineer and Infantryman for quite a few years, and I have never broken a law besides minor traffic laws. I am a firm believer in the law and try to help other people to not break it. I also own an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun, and would like to purchase more in the future. Do you really think I should be punished for what a very small percentage does? I didn't think so.

There is already rules in position that stop convicted criminals from legally owning a firearm. Also take into account that a huge majority of gun crimes are done with illegally owned weapons, thus making rules to stop owning a gun meaningless in stopping the crimes. The background check system as it stands will not filter out the issues with behavior. I do agree with you BTW that the legal owners should not be punished. I am pointing out that all the ideas to fix this problem are actually placebos that do nothing.

I agree with you CE.  Further more, I don't see anything there other than political grand standing resulting in meaningless legislation that does nothing to address the root causes.  The Honorable Judge Andrew P. Napolitano (retired) pretty well sums up my feelings on the entire subject; (long read but IMHO worth it)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/10/guns-and-freedom/?intcmp=obinsite

Not in favor of gun control.  One of my school projects was to prove why I felt the Brady Bill was ineffective.

That said, one thing people keep saying that is simply not true is that most of the guns were purchased illegally.  Whether talking mass shooting or typical crimes, most guns were purchased legally.  What makes it very difficult to distinguish the difference is typically 35% of those guns used came from a friend or relative.  It really depends on the scenario to say if the gun was "acquired" legally from the friend/relative or not.

As that one video Bubba posted, most (though obviously not all) of those crimes are typically gang violence or domestic dispute.  You can assume most of the gang violence attributes to high percentage of guns from the black market or drug dealers.  Just like much of the domestic disputes probably attribute to legally purchased guns obtained from friends and family.