$450 build - suggestions?

rowebil

Hi everyone!

So I'm trying to get a good build setup... I am using it primarily for everyday tasks, however, I would like to play most games like Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Now I'm very well with computers, however, I don't know all about overclocking and gaming setups. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything.

I have a 950W power supply that I had purchased for $90 - originally $180. So I don't need that.

I would need the case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and hard drive (any size - 500GB+; I can always upgrade, or add a hard drive and extend the partition).

Video card - if you don't suggest trinity OR CPU/GPU processor

I've built many customer computers, so I'm familiar with that, but I just don't know which motherboard OR CPU is good for gaming.

The case, I'd like the Antec cases - they're nice.

Now, I'm stuck at the CPU and motherboard. 

The CPU, I like AMD's 8-core, but I am not sure how well it does with gaming. 

Motherboard, anything really. Anything that can go up to 16GB RAM - 

I would also like a video card, for gaming. Now I know Trinity and most Intel has a GPU processor, so if you suggest that, that's fine.

I'm looking for $450 price range - it's a small price - but I think you could suggest something!

I'm not sure why I can't edit the post, but I forgot to include, I'm only confused with the CPU and video card setup.

Here is my new EDIT post! 

Hi everyone!

So I'm trying to get a good build setup... I am using it primarily for everyday tasks, however, I would like to play most games like Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Now I'm very well with computers, however, I don't know all about overclocking and gaming setups. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything.

Now, I'm stuck at the CPU and motherboard. 

The CPU, I like AMD's 8-core, but I am not sure how well it does with gaming. 

Motherboard, anything really. Anything that can go up to 16GB RAM - 

I would also like a video card, for gaming. Now I know Trinity and most Intel has a GPU processor, so if you suggest that, that's fine.

I'm looking for $450 price range (FOR THE WHOLE BUILD - I already have PSU) - it's a small price - but I think you could suggest something!

Overall, what I'm confused on is the video card and CPU... I'm wondering which really improves gaming? I'd like Need for Speed on high quality. I did hear that most games only run on quad-cores - so I wouldn't need an 8 core.
I also heard that usually it depends on the processor, and at times, it depends on the GPU. Some have said that NFS - MW doesn't even utilize all four cores, and put's the strain on the video card. 

So what does anyone suggest? 

I came up with this at PC Part Picker. It leaves plenty of room for expansion and is pretty close to your budget.

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($31.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card  ($117.55 @ Newegg) 

Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $474.50

After the 2 $10 rebates this would cost you $467 from newegg:

Intel i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3Ghz  $129.99

MSI Z77A-G41 Mobo$ 79.99

G.Skill Sniper 8GB $41.99

EVGA GTX650 $99.99 

Free Assassins Creed III

WD Blue 500BG HDD $64.99

Antec Three Hundred $49.99

= $466.94

Just a hair over and it came with a free game.  Shipping is just ten bucks on top.  Of course if you live near a microcenter, you can probably do better.  

You could have went with a B75 mobo and lost some expandability and flexability but save 20 bucks.  Or save another 5 bucks on cheap ram.  But I don't see the point in those.

To save money, you could go with a cheaper case, but really, another 25-50 bucks wont get you a better graphics card or an i5, so it's kinda pointless.  

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! They look good, I've picked out the same components on Newegg, but wasn't sure what to look for with gaming.

I didn't know there was a website, PCPartPicker - thanks for that! 

I don't know if I live near a Microcenter or not! I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, I'm sure Tjj226 may be familiar with the area, I've been in VA a few times.

I'll look it up!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tjt6

I like this better since it is a bit better than the two above 

Yeah I was considering mentioning going with older AMD components for the best price/performance ratio, but that does remove the possibility of future upgrades if he went with 1155 (although I suppose that too will eventually become obsolete). Also for the case really any budget case listed will work fine, honestly I'd really just pick the case that you think looks the most aesthetically pleasing.

As for editing posts, just be logged in and under your post in the bottom right corner next to MultiQuote there should be an "edit" button.

Edited by OrangeJuice

Yeah I'm going to be upgrading - so I definitely want something with more room, as in why I mentioned adding more RAM.

Yeah I see the edit button, but it isn't allowing me to save OR even go to the full editor. Maybe because I am never on here, and I'm still considered a new member, and that privilege is not allowed which makes sense! 

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! They look good, I've picked out the same components on Newegg, but wasn't sure what to look for with gaming.

I didn't know there was a website, PCPartPicker - thanks for that! 

I don't know if I live near a Microcenter or not! I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, I'm sure Tjj226 may be familiar with the area, I've been in VA a few times.

I'll look it up!

I actually am familiar with the whole eastern sea board. My mom likes to take road trips a lot : P

I see you found a store near you. 77 miles might be worth it. The CPUs are almost always 30-40 bucks cheaper there, and if you get an i5 3570K, you can get a matching asrock z77 board for 100. With take it would put your at 300 where as newegg might run you 350. 

Honestly. I would skip the notion of getting something cheap now and upgrading later. Just save up a bit more and get an i5 3570K an asrock extreme 4 z77 mobo, some samsung low profile memory, NZXT source 210, a 1TB segate drive, and a good AMD 7950 for 753. 

You can get away with getting everything other than the graphics card for 450. Then I would overclock that ram, go into the BIOS and dedicate 1Gb of your ram for the integrated graphics, and hold out for a used AMD 7950 for like $230 or something. 

I know that probably isn't going to be a good situation for you, but you will be saving money by getting the parts you need right off the bat rather than building it one upgrade at a time. Trust me. By the time I built my PC the way I wanted it, I dumped a good 300 to 400 extra into it than if I had just saved up and bought it further down the road.  

I even tried Firefox and IE in-case the editing feature wasn't working in Chrome, but nothing.

Also, I was just wondering about the CPU and video card. All of the other options I am comfortable with picking and matching - however, I wasn't sure if graphics depended on the CPU OR the video card. It seems like I have heard both - games require quad-core, any processor manuf., 4.0Ghz - and any cheap video card - and then I heard differently that any quad-core processor will do just fine - and it relies on the video card. 

So I was wondering what I should really focus on performance wise, CPU or GPU?