why won't a p4 520j work on ddr3 socket 775 boards?

That old cpu doesnt have ddr3 controller just like phenom II 940.

That CPU has no controller. It'll work fine guaranteed.

If I may expand on what Waco said; only recently have chips featured onboard memory controllers, previously, memory controllers were on the motherboard, and the chip merely communicated with the board's controller, thus the standard of memory supported would be determined by the board instead of the processor. More recently, however, chip manufacturers have begun to incorporate memory controllers onto the chip itself (e.g. Phenom II, FX-series, Intel Core series), generally to reduce latency between the memory and the processor, thus increasing performance. There are other reasons too, including it is often easier and cheaper to integrate a memory controller into the processor die than making a completely separate system on the motherboard itself.

I hope that has explained what Waco said :)

Wasn't AMD first for including memory controllers? :)

If I may expand on what Waco said; only recently have chips featured onboard memory controllers, previously, memory controllers were on the motherboard, and the chip merely communicated with the board's controller, thus the standard of memory supported would be determined by the board instead of the processor. More recently, however, chip manufacturers have begun to incorporate memory controllers onto the chip itself (e.g. Phenom II, FX-series, Intel Core series), generally to reduce latency between the memory and the processor, thus increasing performance. There are other reasons too, including it is often easier and cheaper to integrate a memory controller into the processor die than making a completely separate system on the motherboard itself.

Yes, AMD was first to integrate memory controllers in their processors, Intel followed suit. They also developed the initial 64-bit architecture with AMD64, but that's for another thread, before we turn this into a raging Intel vs AMD war.  :lol:

Yes, AMD was first to integrate memory controllers in their processors, Intel followed suit. They also developed the initial 64-bit architecture with AMD64, but that's for another thread, before we turn this into a raging Intel vs AMD war.  :lol:

Yeah, don't worry, this is just a history lesson ;) 

Sorry it's hard to type on my phone. :P. But yes thats what i meant.

I feel your pain. Pity I can't plug a full size keyboard into my phone. I bet I'd get some weird looks from some people on the bus though. :lol:

That old cpu doesnt have ddr3 controller just like phenom II 940.

That CPU has no controller. It'll work fine guaranteed.

years ago, well back in 2007-08 i used this P5kc with great success, in both ddr2 and ddr3 configs,...back when ddr3 was EXPENSIVE as hell, ...but the q6600 didn't mind a bit...lol