2500k, H100 and High Temps?

zashman

Hi everyone,

Right off the bat, is 60c 100% P95 load high?

I have Corsair SP120 silent edition fans and run the pump on the performance setting

My Idle temp is usually around 40c.

I just got a new motherboard (MSI z77 MPOWER) so I had to remove the original TIM and use Noctua NT-H1
I had to reapply as the first time I attached the H100 I was getting 70c - 75c on 100% load.

My Vcore is sitting at 1.24v
And prime has been running for 3 hours now and my highest temp is 68.

if these temps look okay let me know.
I am just assuming they are not because I have read thousands of threads on the net (not literally) and people average 50 - 60c (literally)

Thanks,

zashman

The maximum temperature Intel state for their processors is around 100C if I remember correctly, so you're well within safe limits there. If you're still concerned about temps you could use some Arctic MX-4 paste which is recommended by most people I've spoken to who have used it. Also make sure you haven't applied too much paste, which is a common problem and can actually decrease the effectiveness of your cooling, a pea-sized amount on the middle of the chip is usually perfect.

Edited by EuroFight

Those temps seem high, you may have applied too much compound or do not have block seated properly. I would pull block and check your pattern of the contact, and reapply a vary thin amount of compound, and tighten thumb screws in a X pattern snug by hand, no tools. and retest.

I run the same processor with a 25% overclock, And the H-100 set on med. Temps while folding are in the mid 40c's and ideal are 34c 

Prime 95 will run hotter than Folding,.. but the temps at high setting with H-100 running Prime 95 should not be in the 70c range.

Personally would not fret a high of 60C on an Intel processor under heavy load. Remember that the load testing is meant to show the max hit, so it is not a good reflection of reality. Under gaming and such you will probably come in 5C or maybe as much as 10C lower.

thanks for the replys,

when I am gaming (FC3, BF3, Skyrim with texture mods) I only reach 50 - 55.
my ambient tempretures fluctuate a lot as i live in sunny down under so ambient range from 25 - 35 definitely do know there is a lot more heat coming from the CPU on those hotter days.

Anyway, thank you for all the help guys, I think I am happy with the temps.
I put about a 5c piece worth of thermal compound, I am not sure if that is to much?

Anyway, I heard that the noctua thermal compound takes a few weeks to set I read on a few forums.
I don't know weather to believe that or not.

Anyway

Cheers,

Zashman

IMO, the TIM that comes with H series coolers of Corsair are the best.

And I should also say that 60C is now a temperature for which you should be concerned.

Edited by d6bmg

I wouldn't worry about it at all.  With the quiet edition fans pushing significantly less air than the stock fans, the load temps are bound to be higher than others' observations.  Plus, 60C is a great Intel temp.  You can let it load up to 80C in stress tests and still be fine, so long as you don't run it that hot 24/7.

thanks for the replys,

when I am gaming (FC3, BF3, Skyrim with texture mods) I only reach 50 - 55.

my ambient tempretures fluctuate a lot as i live in sunny down under so ambient range from 25 - 35 definitely do know there is a lot more heat coming from the CPU on those hotter days.

Anyway, thank you for all the help guys, I think I am happy with the temps.

I put about a 5c piece worth of thermal compound, I am not sure if that is to much?

Anyway, I heard that the noctua thermal compound takes a few weeks to set I read on a few forums.

I don't know weather to believe that or not.

Anyway

Cheers,

Zashman

was the protective plastic sheild removed prior to installation ?