fetex

Replacing ram help

Hello to all

I'm planning to upgrade my memory but i'm a little bit confused.

My pc usage is for gaming purpose and movies.

My setup is

cpu i7 920 (not overclocked yet planning to do when my watercooling arrieves and when i buy my new memory)

Mobo : Gigabyte G1 sniper x58 rev 1

Ram : 3 x 2GB xms 1600 mhz 9.9.9.24

GPU : sapphire 6970 2gb

I was thinking to upgrade my ram and buy a 4x4gb kit at 1866 Mhz or a 4x4gb 2133mhz

i'm just wondering since those rams will work on dual channel and not on triple , will i have any problems?

the next option i have is to buy a 6 x 2gb kit at 1866 Mhz or a 6x2gb 2133mhz

the dual channel kit it will not utilize the triple channel but i will give 4gb of ram more and also it will give me 2 empty slots on mobo

the triple channel it will run as a full triple channel system as the cpu is designed.

i checked the mobo and supports dual channel with no problem .

My problem is which will give me better perfomance?

For gaming, you will not exceed 12GB of memory at any time. Triple channel would provide significantly better memory performance over dual channel, so I would stick with the triple channel.

You could also purchase three of these to give you 24gb at the triple channel bandwidth. Either way, I would still go with triple channel on a Bloomfield chip.

3x 4GB triple channel kit would be better choice in terms of performance over dual channel kit.

for the x58 you need to go triple channel and 24gb can be had for under a $100 these days. FYi even if the x58 doesn't support 48gb of ram it does work :)

you could go with a 16gb 2x8gb) dual channel kit for $50 on the egg. you lose a little benchmark performance but nothing real world. I just remember the x58 being really picky on what memory worked above 1333 so i would check the qualified memory list at gigabyte website.

Edited by hornybluecow

First of all thanks for the replies.

After searching around on some forums i read that dual channel vs tripple channel is not as much  difference.

for sure triple channel is a bit faster but you cant notice  it.

so i think i will buy those rams.

KINGSTON KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX DDR3 16GB (4X4GB) PC3-14000 1866MHZ HYPERX GENESIS KIT

For the x58 chipset and an i7 920 i would steer away from 1866 memory and go with a set of mushkin ddr3 1600. The Intel chip requires Alot more qpi and cpu voltage to operate 1800mhz memory. Diminishing returns is really all i can really describe. Plus it makes it easier to oc the processor. This is what i used when i oced the Heck out of mine. Got it to bench at 4,60 when it was new. Not so much later on. Needed some dice. And also using just 12 gig over 24 gigs will help keep the memory controller nice and chilax. And if you want i oc'ed this stuff up to 2000mhz at 9-10-10-30.

Cheap too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226192

Dual channel ram would still work on a 3 channel mobo if you have 3 or 4 sticks. Just insert 3 ram dimms on a 3 channel configuration and the 4th one in any other slot and it will simply add to that respective channel.

Edited by l90

Boinker makes a great point about the memory speed and QPI/VTT voltages on the x58 chipset.  Definitely something to consider when making your purchase.  When I was running x58 there at the end I did buy a 4x4Gb kit and then just used 3 of the 4 modules for triple channel and 12Gb of memory.  I kept the 4th stick as a spare / replacement in case I ever needed it.

The other thing I noticed in testing 3 versus 4 sticks on the x58, is that once you start populating the second bank of DIMM slots memory latency will increase.