Sign in to follow this  
Axplayer

Hdd/power Indicator

Here's an idea. I recently hooked up a nice bright blue led for my hd activity indicator and now it blinks nice and blue. I was wondering if it was possible to hook one of those bi-colored led and hooking it so it will blink blue when the hd is active and red (or whatever second color) for the power led. Will this work? And where can I get some of those bi-colored leds? I know there's some condsideration regarding the voltage since I think the amount of voltage determines the color or maybe its the other way around. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure but I don't think so....

I could be wrong but I believe the multi-colored LED's work by using different voltages...

ie: low voltage = blue.... a higher voltage = red, etc. etc.

the power and IDE leds are the same voltage

Please someone correct me if I am wrong//

My blue led was taken from a car accent light bought at Target so I know it's 12 volts. I didn't bother to check the voltage on the hdd indicator lead but I'm assuming it's 12v since the led blinks brightly when then the HD is busy. The bi-color leds have 3 leads. 2 for color and 3rd for ground. My idea is to hook up 1 lead (blue) for hhd 1 lead (red) power and hook the grounds to the neg lead on the led. I thought of this a while back before they had multi colorored leds. I'm no electrician but I understand the role of resistors, even though I don't know the formula to figure out resistor values for voltage.

that may work... but LED's are not (or rarely are) 12v...

they are usually in the 3 to 5 volt range... check the car LED setup...I bet there is a resistor somewhere in there....

at least any that I have taken apart did :P

OK, I have done this mod

What you need is 5V leds, and all you do is hookem up in place of the original ones.

And as for the dual color LED's there change color by changing the direction of flow, IE, swapping pos for neg.

OR they come with 3 leads, so you would have a common ground

correct me if im wrong but the voltage for the hdd indicator is probably 3 volts so you wont need a resistor for most leds.

correct...at least on my boards

I'm not sure but I don't think so....

I could be wrong but I believe the multi-colored LED's work by using different voltages...

ie: low voltage = blue.... a higher voltage = red, etc. etc.

the power and IDE leds are the same voltage

Please someone correct me if I am wrong//

Im sorry buut your wrong.. :)

Bi COlor Leds work by reversing polarity basicly..

with a bi color led u got 3 legs instead of 2

the middle is a ground.. and the 2 outsides are positive..

the one on the right.. per say is positive and when u connect power lets say.. 3 volts.. you will get blue..

and lets say on the left.. you stick 3 volts to it.. it will be red..

hrmm..

im not exactly sure how you would get 1 led to work for the HDD activity and the Power.. you would have to build a relay of some sort..

but at this perticular moment.. I am not positive how to do it.. I just got home from work :P