closed

Locutus

Ah, Christmas. So I won some new DDR3 2400MHz RAM in the Xmas Contest, and now I'd like to build a computer around that.

Probably going to be building it part-by-part. At the moment I'm looking for:

Z77 1155 Motherboard - $100 or less pref.

CPU - $100 or less

I'd like to get an Asus ROG or a similar motherboard. I had an 1156 ROG that I absolutely loved (but I had to sell it last year.)

ETA: It appears that the RAM I've won was specifically made for the Z77 chipset so I should try sticking to that.

Edited by Locutus

• 2 weeks later...

You may be interested in this build I did: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=193023

I did a similar build to this and had a couple of issues, I believe the issue was the RAM but I can confirm it within a week (I have given you different RAM):

AMD FX-6100 $105

GA-970A-DS3  $70 (after rebate)

4GB DDR3 Kingston ValueRAM $20

Cooler Master Elite 460W $30

EVGA GeForce GT610 $30

Total: $255 + HDD + Case (I assume you already have these?)

The build listed would give you a hex-core build with a potential for up to 32GB RAM (although I doubt you would need it), the GT610 could be easily upgraded in time if you wanted to do some gaming or something. The CPU could be upgraded up to an 8-core FX-8120 if needed at a later date and may support next-gen AMD processors. The benchmarks are admittedly disappointing vs Intel, but an i5 rig this would be just beaten by would be around $400+ (I worked it out in

Do you want DDR2 or DDR3? I've got some ram. 

Also, I've got that GTX 275 up for sale, I'm asking $60, pretty cheap for what it is. Let me know if you're interested.