SSD Transplant

Onion

Tim, understood on the music collection but think about it, of that 700GB what percentage do you actively listen too? Also in all seriousness could those needs not be filled with online services? I mean when i want a specific song of album Spotify works great for me. (Even for albums I do not have)

Good question, but as an avid 'computer audiophile' my music collection is my most prized possession and I listen to music all the time, so I need access to my entire collection when the mood takes me for whatever music fits at that moment. Spotify is great and I use that a lot too, but the SQ compared to FLAC is insufficient for serious listening. I use Spotify for discovery, then when I find something I like, I buy the CD, then rip it to FLAC ;)

As for other stuff, well I pruned out about 200GB today, so I'm happy with that.

Again I refer you to my blog, it actually isviable for MOST people.

Tim, understood on the music collection but think about it, of that 700GB what percentage do you actively listen too? Also in all seriousness could those needs not be filled with online services? I mean when i want a specific song of album Spotify works great for me. (Even for albums I do not have)

Good blog Ed. And I agree with you to a point. What about the guys/gals that are online DJs in VWs such as SecondLife, InWorldz or other OpenSim grids? They need their music files on their local computer.

Guys we can what if this to death, there are always exception but they are not the norm and what I wrote for was the norm. Concerning some specific points.

l33tp1mp sorry you have a usage cap, most home accounts do not so this is not a big issue. As for having some movies on a system sure but seriously how many do you carry with you. Using various compression methods you can get HD and stay under 1 gig per movie. So lets say you take 10 movies, not really a big deal. However if you are toting say 30 movies then an issue could exist. As for the internet being down after a hurricane, I am willing to bet most of the time the power is as well, so you get to watch one movie. Also why not use an external HD to store all those movies and access them when you want them instead of carrying them all around with you?

Great_Gig, understood about loving music but look at a comment I made in the blog, most people do not listen to 75% or more of an album. I am willing to bet that you would find a lot of your own collection you do not really care about hearing. Again however that is cool, I keep my entire CD collection on an external HD if I want it for my PC. Have not actually touched that HD in about 6 months. As above, why does this need to be on your main HD and active all the time when it streams over a USB drive just fine?

kyfire, you are right, a DJ should have the music on his system that is how he makes a living but again you are offering a what if that only effects a tiny percentage of people.

However thank you all for the comments and checking out the article.cheers.gif

l33tp1mp sorry you have a usage cap, most home accounts do not so this is not a big issue. As for having some movies on a system sure but seriously how many do you carry with you. Using various compression methods you can get HD and stay under 1 gig per movie. So lets say you take 10 movies, not really a big deal. However if you are toting say 30 movies then an issue could exist. As for the internet being down after a hurricane, I am willing to bet most of the time the power is as well, so you get to watch one movie. Also why not use an external HD to sto

I've got about 10 movies, ~1.5 gb each. So 15 gigs right there. Then I have all the top gear episodes that I watch (I just watch them over and over, I'm addicted to top gear lol), that's about 20 gigs. Even if the power is down, I can hook my laptop up to the car, or to a generator, so power is never an issue, its always the internet that is the issue. As far as the external HD, I don't need one since I've two hard drives in my laptop. The 750 GB hybrid for all my game installs (I alternate games, I don't just play one until the end and then play the next), music, movies, tv shows, etc. It would be such a pain to manage all this data and have to clean my system of clutter every time I run out of room (which will happen often since I have a lot of data I use consistently) that the slight speed increase of 2x 120 GB SSDs isn't worth it over my single 120 GB SSD and 7200 RPM hybrid. Once costs go down, sure, but not just yet... At least for me.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Guys we can what if this to death, there are always exception but they are not the norm and what I wrote for was the norm.

The norm? how have you calculated this? you've just taken your situation and labelled it as the norm.

sorry you have a usage cap, most home accounts do not so this is not a big issue. As for having some movies on a system sure but seriously how many do you carry with you. Using various compression methods you can get HD and stay under 1 gig per movie. So lets say you take 10 movies, not really a big deal. However if you are toting say 30 movies then an issue could exist. As for the internet being down after a hurricane, I am willing to bet most of the time the power is as well, so you get to watch one movie. Also why not use an external HD to store all those movies and access them when you want them instead of carrying them all around with you?

uhhh, unlimited plans are expensive and the providers that do offer them have crappy speeds(in aus).

Blog link is in my sig. Cloud storage is for the most part free, at least enough for most peoples usage. Also a lot of the "storage" is not needed as streaming through various services offer more choices and a versatile alternative to storing TV shows, music and movies.

ehh, have sigs disabled and cbs re-enabling just for the blog link.

For me it doesn't matter about how much of that music I listen to, or how much of those shows/movies I watch. I want it available locally, always.

Great_Gig, understood about loving music but look at a comment I made in the blog, most people do not listen to 75% or more of an album. I am willing to bet that you would find a lot of your own collection you do not really care about hearing. Again however that is cool, I keep my entire CD collection on an external HD if I want it for my PC. Have not actually touched that HD in about 6 months. As above, why does this need to be on your main HD and active all the time when it streams over a USB drive just fine?

Ah, lots of assumptions there Ed, which without you knowing me or what I do is understandable.

I never ever listen to just certain songs and I don't ever do 'shuffle' play, I'm old school and sit and listen to entire albums from start to finish, I'm not 'most people' ;)

My album collection is accessed remotely from a tablet PC which controls a dedicated custom built music server, which does nothing other than play music - its part of my audio system. Some would say its 'audiophile' but I'm not fond of that word. This has a 1.5TB HDD which is nothing but FLAC files and the O/S is on a 64GB SSD. The 1.5TB HDD in my desktop PC is the backup library and more often than not its asleep, as I sit on the sofa listening to music and surfing on the tablet. It has to be in my main PC as I buy around 3~4 CD's a week and rip them as soon as they arrive, then sync that drive to the music server. I listen to music about 50 ~ 60 hours a week and checking my Last.fm stats I have played 17,000 songs since April 26 this year, that's an average of 77 songs a day. I could not and would not ever contemplate deleting a single music file I own, I am not your normal computer user who listens to music as well, music is my life, either listening, researching, buying or going to gigs, of which I do around 70 a year - I have been passionate about music since I went to my first gig at 14, which was 40 years ago. I'm a music geek, as well as a computer geek you see.