HDD chattering with no load

Renigade

My Hard Drive has been doing this for 6 Months now and I keep expecting it to not boot one day.

Under load and with no load it does this. This video there is nothing running in task manager processes tab my old Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA chatters or rattles.

Has anyone else had a drive do this?

Video here

It could be idle time defragmentation. I'm on my phone so I can't view the video now but does it sound like normal activity?

BP's WD Black seems to chatter incessantly even while idle even when using Smart Response. :lol:

It could be idle time defragmentation. I'm on my phone so I can't view the video now but does it sound like normal activity?

BP's WD Black seems to chatter incessantly even while idle even when using Smart Response. :lol:

Seagate Baracuda SATA 500Gb

This ones get me going a few ways.

1. This is the normal activity when they system is at idle doing back ground defrag or file sorting of some sort. My media center PC which has 3 Seagates rattles away all the time and its doing nothing.

2. This is a bearing starting to fail.

3. This is the head motor starting to fail. But if this is happening you will get a loud pinging sound as well, when the head smacks against the end of the motor swing arm.

Im leaning for number 1 as i have watched the video like 10 times now.

How old is the drive??

Easy solution... Get a bunch of SSDs. :lol:

I'm thinking idle defrag as well, my two raptors used to do it. Made a hell of a racket.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Just watched the video. That sounds like regular activity to me. Windows doesn't like to leave the OS drive idle when it thinks it can rearrange files and defrag.

I'd make sure you have a good backup solution in place (which you should anyway) but that doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary to me.

Easy solution... Get a bunch of SSDs. :lol:

LOL knucklehead not every one is a rich L33t playboy pimp like yourself! C'mon player, hook a cracker up for Christmas !

@Bigball1 the drive is 2 years old

and I thought I had shut off all the processes in the taskmanager

• Like 2

LOL knucklehead not every one is a rich L33t playboy pimp like yourself! C'mon player, hook a cracker up for Christmas !

Rich? I'm 19 and in college. :lol:

Go to my for sale thread and buy my ssd, start building your massive array of them! :teehee:

You can't shut off all the background services (well, not easily).

The easy way to check this is to simply boot to the BIOS. If the drive is quiet when sitting in the BIOS, it's fine. If it chatters, it's probably going bad. :)