FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz - OCCT Question

TRWeiss1

That all sounds reasonable. You may end up going 1.65v with your RAM depending what model you have. DDR3 is dual effective rate or 2 x 933= 1866MHz in your case. The Primary difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is that DDR3 has twice the transfer rate. There is almost assuredly some headroom with your memory, but I would leave that until you get a stable OC to get an idea of where you are at. As far as temp goes, 62c is the max thermal from AMD. Don t need to get concerned if you go a bit higher temporarily while finding your OC. There is a big cushion in that number. To answer your question ,I usually shoot for 10c under the max thermal @ max OC.

Keep the temp under 62c and the voltage (vCore) under 1.55v

....did I get it all? :P:D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yep, I think you did! :P My question regarding the memory was not bc I *wanted* to push it faster, but rather do I *need* to in order to achieve a stable OC in this scenario. ;) So far no crashing @ 1.50v Vcore, but we'll see what happens in time. Maybe the cause of the crashing this entire time was bc my Vcore was too low. I was merely going based on what others are running theirs at, and what they were using for Vcore... Of course I understand that every system is different, and perhaps my chip needs just a touch more voltage.

It may also be worth noting that whatever I set my chip to in the BIOS, I see .02v less in Windows. For example, even though I'm setting my Vcore to 1.50v, the chip is actually getting 1.48v. Don't know if this much matters, but just pointing it out. So I suppose what I SHOULD be telling you is that I have it set to 1.50v in BIOS, but it's *truly* only running on 1.48v according to CPU-Z and the ASUS OC utility. Max temp I've seen thus far is 59 deg C, although it's hovering right around 57/58. :)

Erm.... There's absolutely NO WAY the following pic could be correct, right? Let me preface this pic with the fact that this chip has been running for days now, nonstop, and I've NEVER seen it get over 61 deg C... Then a random spike up past 120?! Gotta be a false reading, no? There's no way the chip would spike that high at 1.48v, then come back down that quick, would it?? I'm thinking (or hoping) speedfan had a moment where it lost its marbles, or just got bad data from the temperature sensor...

Reference => http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/TRWeiss1/Spike.jpg

A larger pic. => http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/TRWeiss1/Spike_Large.jpg

Edited by TRWeiss1

I'm pretty sure that's a false reading, I'm not sure it's physically possible for something to get that hot and cool down that quickly without causing serious issues that would be immediately visible...