DanTheGamer11

Windows 8.1/Blue and the return of the Start Button

Microsoft have the point in saying that tablets are the future, but they have to understand that the time have not come yet. Till that point of time, when people won't be caring anything other than a touch screen device, start burron & menu is the ay to go not their new mouses with start button.

Those who haven't seen them yet see here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2013/05/23/announcing-sculpt-comfort-mouse-amp-mobile-mouse.aspx

Edited by d6bmg

I was totally under a different perspective that free would mean no purchase necessary without a standalone operating system.

I was totally under a different perspective that free would mean no purchase necessary without a standalone operating system.

Turns out its just a free update to W8 license owners

Turns out its just a free update to W8 license owners

That's dumb, they might as well have just called it a service pack then...that's what it seems like to me

Looks like it's going to arrive in October with some new hardware in tow. It'll be in RTM this month, apparently, yet could be six weeks or so before it reaches general availability. Kind of odd, but hey, can't complain too much since it's a free upgrade.

So it's not an update but something I need to get from the Microsoft Store?? That's pretty dumb

It's a free upgrade, IVI. Arrives on October 17. Download it, apply it, reboot, and that's probably all there'll be to it.

Yeah and...

Windows 8.1 is a free update for all Windows 8 users via the Windows Store, with retail locations and new devices getting it on October 18.

I know it's not the end of the world but why oh why isn't this just available via Windows Update. I thought I'd never have to use the Windows Store lol

Because Microsoft likes to do things differently. :lol: And probably because it's acting like 8.1 is a new release instead of a revision.

Because Microsoft likes to do things differently. :lol: And probably because it's acting like 8.1 is a new release instead of a revision.

Madness!

And probably because it's acting like 8.1 is a new release instead of a revision.

3.1 was a standalone as well.