Sign in to follow this  
Renigade

Batch Photo Processing?

Questions

1. What experience do you guys have with programs that batch handle Photos in the Raw Format?
  2. What are your Experiences with these type of programs
  3. What do you use ?
  4. Is it possible to get all 3 Watermarking/batch re-naming and batch converting?

Problem I am having is I am not the most organized person in the world and the fact that I now have taken over 1540 Pics with my new 2-week old DSLR Camera and the clutter in my Pictures folder is quickly becoming proof of concept in compound interest and multiplying exponentially!

• I am currently collecting photos faster then i have time to process them all !

What I need

• I would like to find some Software that can help me batch process the large amounts of RAW photos
  • Batch Edit the names
  • Add watermarks if I decide.
  • What do you Pro Reviewers use and how do guys keep everything organized

What I will be using the Software for

• I will be primarily using the photos for my how to instructional web website/blog (so they need to be watermarked) and need to be able to handle all the photos with 1 program as time efficiently as possible.

I am currently using Nikon's View NX2 and an Archaic version of Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004 now a free download and still pretty handy for touching up pics.

I have not looked into this at all yet, I thought I might get some advice from y'all here seeing as I will also be doing product reviews on cleaning products, tools and a pictorial how-to for home simple improvement and preventative maintenance for my 2000+ Customers (Retirees) here in the Villages FL and you guys are seem to do a few reviews here :)

I will use multiple programs if need be but I would rather be able to just use 1 if at all possible.

You can do all these things with ViewNX2. I'm not sure if OCC will do reviews on software like these, but I can happily give an instructional on my blog if you like.

May I add that RAW is a very difficult format to find programs for as it's encoding differs greatly from file to file, so any software that you do find is likely to be relatively expensive, however, you may be able to reduce cost by using multiple programs, as stated in your OP so you may want to look into this a little further - anyway, that's my two cents thumbsup3.gif

ViewNX2 does Water marks?

I was not asking for a review on the software i was just asking advice on how to go about the process of doing a review.

what guidelines y'all follow, maybe on how to remain objective.

EDIT: an instructional would be awesome :) thank you !

Edited by Renigade

May I add that RAW is a very difficult format to find programs for as it's encoding differs greatly from file to file, so any software that you do find is likely to be relatively expensive, however, you may be able to reduce cost by using multiple programs, as stated in your OP so you may want to look into this a little further - anyway, that's my two cents thumbsup3.gif

so I guess I just need a watermarking program then seeing as everything else is done by ViewNX2. I always feel guilty asking before I do any research but i really suck at research as my attention span is dwarfed by most single cell organisms. Not that - that makes it ok. just an explanation from a scatterbrained old school metal head that never inhaled.... My parents did it all for me in the 60's

I use abobe cs6 for everything. Now that said, other than windows paint, I haven't been able to find a program that doesn't let you batch edit in some way. However, I still prefer adobe cs6. You can download it as a trial, and then you can find ways of getting it for cheap ((((( :ph34r:;):ph34r: ))))

As for organizing pictures, I think it comes down to how your camera transfers photos. My cannon will transfer them and name them by the date they were taken. Then when I edit them I will simply add an "(e)" to the end of the date and put them in a folder with the same date, again with an "(e)" at the end of the name (e for edit if you were wondering).

Some other cameras will give them some stupid code name like 00000456.jpg or something like that. As for that there are ways to do a batch edit and rename them. For instance, if you wen't on a family trip, you could name your batch edit name, "triptoxxxx" and then your program will name the pictures "triptoXXXX1.jpg" , "triptoXXXXX2.jpg" and so on. Then you would simply make a folder that says triptoXXXX and a second on that symbolizes your edits.

It is also important to have enough hard drive space, and that these pictures are backed up. If you are collecting these things that fast, I would be looking to pick up 2 3TB green drives for a raid 1 on your PC. The only reason I am pushing it is because with today's sales, you might as well do it now when it is cheap vs later when it will be not so cheap. :thumbsup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844 very nice black friday deal :cheers:

You might be interested in this:

Batch Converting: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Batch Watermarking: http://www.kigosoft.com/kigo-image-converter/

You would need to use PhotoScape to convert the image from RAW to *.jpeg and you could then use Kigo Image Converter to watermark them

I haven't either of these myself but they're free and I've read some good reviews on them thumbsup3.gif

I use abobe cs6 for everything. Now that said, other than windows paint, I haven't been able to find a program that doesn't let you batch edit in some way. However, I still prefer adobe cs6. You can download it as a trial, and then you can find ways of getting it for cheap ((((( :ph34r:;):ph34r: ))))

As for organizing pictures, I think it comes down to how your camera transfers photos. My cannon will transfer them and name them by the date they were taken. Then when I edit them I will simply add an "(e)" to the end of the date and put them in a folder with the same date, again with an "(e)" at the end of the name (e for edit if you were wondering).

Some other cameras will give them some stupid code name like 00000456.jpg or something like that. As for that there are ways to do a batch edit and rename them. For instance, if you wen't on a family trip, you could name your batch edit name, "triptoxxxx" and then your program will name the pictures "triptoXXXX1.jpg" , "triptoXXXXX2.jpg" and so on. Then you would simply make a folder that says triptoXXXX and a second on that symbolizes your edits.

It is also important to have enough hard drive space, and that these pictures are backed up. If you are collecting these things that fast, I would be looking to pick up 2 3TB green drives for a raid 1 on your PC. The only reason I am pushing it is because with today's sales, you might as well do it now when it is cheap vs later when it will be not so cheap. :thumbsup:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148844 very nice black friday deal :cheers:

Thankyou ! Thats a great idea setting my camera to name them by date and time i am currently looking through my guide book for the settings

51f7rFMbrEL._SS500_.jpg

You might be interested in this:

Batch Converting: http://www.photoscap.../main/index.php

Batch Watermarking: http://www.kigosoft....mage-converter/

You would need to use PhotoScape to convert the image from RAW to *.jpeg and you could then use Kigo Image Converter to watermark them

I haven't either of these myself but they're free and I've read some good reviews on them thumbsup3.gif

Thank you for the watermarking link though I am still looking for the options in ViewNX2 to watermark as El_Capitan suggested. If I misunderstood him and ViewNX2 does not have watermarking capabilities I will try that download for kigosoft

I know photoshop for batch work . I can make a quick YouTube video on how to do everything you listed. Gimp also works but I haven't used the actions function so it will take me a few hours to figure it out . Pm me If you like a tutorial video

Edit: also today Lightroom 4 is on sale for $74 . It also does everything you listed . Very good and cheap if all you want to do is photo work

Edited by hornybluecow

I know photoshop for batch work . I can make a quick YouTube video on how to do everything you listed. Gimp also works but I haven't used the actions function so it will take me a few hours to figure it out . Pm me If you like a tutorial video

Edit: also today Lightroom 4 is on sale for $74 . It also does everything you listed . Very good and cheap if all you want to do is photo work

If i get stuck I will :) thanks Blue! I listen to a few Photo Pod Casts (Photo Tips by BC Photo) and they talk about lightroom a lot.

I am often skeptical of who is trying to sell me stuff and who is using it because it is a good tool. That is why I tend to ask here before doing research to beable to further research. I trust the information I get here. I never feel like I am being sold to but rather being informed.

So of the tools mentioned I assume Lightroom is what most professionals use?

I will be starting a Blog that will be focused on helping people with my area of expertise Carpentry (from framing and form work to cabinet making and furniture restoration), Plumbing, House Cleaning(exterior) and just general preventative maintenance.So its important for me to beable to present the videos and photos in a manner consistent with the quality of information that I will be helping people with. Tired of my customers getting lied to.

Edited by Renigade

Lightroom at first was kinda like iPhoto on the Mac but now it's evoled into an awesome program . Thy basically took all the photoshop and bridge code and put it into its own product and way cheaper . Like $800 cheaper compared to photoshop for the same functions

Edited by hornybluecow