No more Twinkies D:

Coors

I totally agree that the union was part of the failure here, but it was a very small part in comparison to what this company has been going through for years. But most of what we've seen in this thread so far has been union bashing, so I took it upon myself to present the other half of the story.

Fair enough. Now that we have both halves, hopefully this thread won't forget it :cheers:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree that the union was part of the failure here, but it was a very small part in comparison to what this company has been going through for years.

I'm going to disagree on the "very small part" that the union played here. :lol:

Well, the good news is there are at least 3 companies interested in buying Hostess. Including the Mexican company El Grupo Bimbo, the largest bread baking company in the world.

No pics, no proof.

Proof...mid blown. lol keep in mind this was from back in April. The twinkie is not part of an ongoing game of hide the nasty twinkie and it is almost entirely black and white now. I'll have to try and get a recent picture when it gets found again. lol

post-28519-0-70845900-1353345119_thumb.jpg

I'm going to disagree on the "very small part" that the union played here. :lol:

Care to provide a reasoning? Hostess has gone through six CEOs since 2002, and with each one the company has gotten worse. And each one gave themselves large bonuses in addition to their already ridiculous salary. The company has stolen all the pension money that employees put in over all these years, totaling $50 million, or $3/hr for the average worker. And the newly proposed contract would have cut worker pay by 8% the first year, with an additional 27% over the next 5 years. So someone making $16/hr today would have made $11/hr in 5 years. The pension money would not be repaid, the weekly insurance premium would be doubled, and the overall quality of the insurance plan lowered.

This union had every reason to strike against such an awful company. Hostess sold $2.5 billion worth of products last year. If they can't find a way to make a profit out of that then the management doesn't deserve to run this company. These workers deserve better than this.

If this was your job you'd just be excited to have a job, right?

Well, seems te bankruptcy Judge thinks there's a very big issue with how the Union handled things.........

Judge asks Hostess to mediate with union

Published - Nov 19 2012 04:11PM EST

CANDICE CHOI, The Associated Press

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP)

That judge also has a big issue with the bankruptcy claim being filed before mediation took place. The point I'm making is that this whole thing could have been avoided with any competent management. The union strike was simply the last straw and there's no point in people placing all the blame on it.

The bottom line is both have a played a part in this whole thing. I do find it interesting that the largest Union representing workers at Hostess, International Brotherhood of Teamsters acepted what Hostess offered and even ueged the Bakers Union to reconsider the strike.