GTX 680M or Radeon 7970M

Ballr28

Ok, so getting myself a laptop.

Both laptops will cost almost the same (just a tiny difference), nothing for you to care about :P. My main problem is whether i should get the GTX 680M over the Radeon 7970M, at the cost of a smaller HDD and weaker CPU.

All specs are the same, except HDD, GPU and CPU. I would like some ideas, maybe a little brainstorming, and hopefully, a conclusion to the topic :).

Here are the specs in the battle:

1. 2.

GTX 680M Radeon 7970M

i7-3610QM i7-3720QM

500GB HDD 750GB HDD

both hdd on 7200 rpm

thanks for any answers in advance !

P.S.: Need answers by Saturday! Have limited time until ordering

Edited by Ballr28

Look into getting a GTX 680MX. It's the newest mobile Kepler GPU out now. It features the full 1536SP's found on the desktop GTX 680. Not sure if they started shipping laptops with it though.

Read about it, yet you also conclude with the sad truth, it haz not started ze shipping :0 ! Atleast not in my country (expensive Norway....).

Read about it, yet you also conclude with the sad truth, it haz not started ze shipping :0 ! Atleast not in my country (expensive Norway....).

It's really neck and neck between the 680M and the 7970M. I would go with the 680M if it were me.

Benchmarks for HD 7970M here.

Benchmarks for GTX 680M here.

Whichever one you go, neither is a bad choice.

The laptop will be used for gaming and such, but the main reason i am striving to find the correct choice, is that the benchmarks seem..... very close :/ ?

And the only thing i would be picky about at this point would be price.... but as i look around the web, i also find that with a better CPU it can make a system perform better in games aswell, even with just a slight difference of 0.3 GHz.

Is it really worth it? Degrading the CPU and HDD for something that MIGHT perform better at certain games? The Radeon 7970M seems to be the perfect card but then again.....

Radeon have these crappy drivers all the time, including their shitty Enduro :/ errmergeeerrd

Edited by Ballr28

Which laptop? If a Clevo/Sager then don't walk but run away as quickly as possible from the 7970m. Nothing but problems in a lot of games. Very poor gpu utilization and in some cases random BSODs (not everyone was getting them but I was. If it wasn't for the blue screens I would have probably stuck with the card until AMD finally fixed the issues.) The 680 was completely worth it to me that I upgraded for $250 and I've never looked back.

Check out notebook review.com to see the many many complaints about the 7970. I think there is a newer driver out now but haven't looked into if it actually helped. But if you're not looking at a Clevo than it's not as much of a big deal. The AWs have a muxless design that allows Enduro to be bypassed and they don't have the low gpu utilization issues.

I say get 680 either way if they are the same price. Nvidia > AMD...IMO. I'll be going back to in Nvidia the next time I upgrade my desktop too.

Which laptop? If a Clevo/Sager then don't walk but run away as quickly as possible from the 7970m. Nothing but problems in a lot of games. Very poor gpu utilization and in some cases random BSODs (not everyone was getting them but I was. If it wasn't for the blue screens I would have probably stuck with the card until AMD finally fixed the issues.) The 680 was completely worth it to me that I upgraded for $250 and I've never looked back.

Check out notebook review.com to see the many many complaints about the 7970. I think there is a newer driver out now but haven't looked into if it actually helped. But if you're not looking at a Clevo than it's not as much of a big deal. The AWs have a muxless design that allows Enduro to be bypassed and they don't have the low gpu utilization issues.

I say get 680 either way if they are the same price. Nvidia > AMD...IMO. I'll be going back to in Nvidia the next time I upgrade my desktop too.

Oh god... looks like its a Clevo computer! It was called Multicom Kunshan P170E on the website i was at :/ Thanks for the tip bromigo !

Oh god... looks like its a Clevo computer! It was called Multicom Kunshan P170E on the website i was at :/ Thanks for the tip bromigo !

Thats the same laptop I have. Go for the 680.

Thats the same laptop I have. Go for the 680.

Appears to me that you have a better CPU, the i7-3720QM, while i must settle with the i7-3610QM, but i think ill just get the model with GTX 680... Im guessing that the lesser CPU will perform just as good as the stronger one :)