Andrewr05s mITX build list

Andrewr05

The variation in Ivy Bridge vs Haswell isn't big enough to worry. In an SFF build I would be VERY tempted to knock off the IHS of whatever CPU in intel's 22nm line and take a fair bit of load off whatever cooler you use and keep it closer to silent.  I would have sold you memory but I didn't see your change of direction until this morning :P As for swapping the 3340S...no real reason.  You aren't going to be OCing it so a K series isn't needed and seeing as how nothing newer has come out to grab most people's attention away from Sandy Bridge and up finding a real cheap one may be a bit harder.  Not to mention you seem to be getting crazy impatient with this build.

The PSU you picked will give you PLENTY of headroom (I ran an i7-4770K with mild OC and a GTX 770 also mildly OCed off the one in my server for a while until funds for something bigger appeared :lol:)

The only thing I REALLY don't like is the motherboard, but the issue is there with most mITX 1155 boards, it looks like the designers were smoking crack when the put the CPU right up on the GPU slot ruling out any larger CPU coolers designed for the mITX platform.  The only board still on the egg that doesn't in 1155 trim is an ASUS Z77 board with all the toys or ~$150 so maybe I don't like 1155 after all but if you never plan to OC and the GeminII M4 does fit then you'll be fine I guess.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reviews on the Gemini are fantastic for being a low profile design, I'm even going to swap in a 'normal' thickness fan in lieu of the tiny 15mm one.

I realize going mITX was probably a mistake but I've but when wanting to for while now, fuck it I may as well keep going. :P

And yeah that PSU is overkill, I originally had a 380w in the build list but I wanted moduIlar and this one was fairly cheap and had good reviews.

Though I know often the modular designs, due to the connectors protrusion, actually cause more of a fitment issue than a normal PSU but I wanted less cable clutter.

Maybe I will delid, I'm not sure.

So I'll ask again, keep this 3340s, go with a used higher end i5 or what?

How about Xeon? Assuming the board supports it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040663549#post1040663549

There's a Xeon E3 1230v2 for $190 there...

Edited by Andrewr05

My fit concerns on the cooler were more based on spacing around the socket than vertical in this case as I didn't look up the specs of the cooler, just glanced at the pretty picture thingys.

As for the Xeon, the board has a solid support list for Xeons including the one you mentioned so shouldn't have any issues there. It just depends on how important things like warranty and the previous owners use is.  Personally I have no problems with used stuff (I sure as hell didn't pay over $800 for this 4930K and X79-UP4) Obviously the Xeon you're looking at being 500mhz faster is a bonus but in the real world it's not going to be night and day difference so really depends on where you got the i5 you have now and return/resell options.  

You could flip a coin and go with way and I think you would be happy.

Also fyi my "overkill" PSU thing was more as a reminder of what a good PSU can actually power for whoever said bad things (yes I am too lazy to look up the name) about the 380w you had before that was also plenty for the system specs at the time. 

I think if I can recoup my money I'm gonna go with a cheap Xeon or maybe a cheap K series despite not having OC abilities.

Sounds smart

What is this 'smart' you speak of?

I think if I can recoup my money I'm gonna go with a cheap Xeon or maybe a cheap K series despite not having OC abilities.

Sounds smart

What is this 'smart' you speak of?

Smart as in a sound plan!

I got $20 off a $100+ order at Staples, so it was cheaper than that.

Also, since I'm an idiot and I can't make up my mind I think I may sell that 3340S and see what's available for used 1155 chips like I should have done to begin with.

:pfp: for hopefully the last time...

i don't like it when you call my friend andrew05 names and talk down to him....stop that :vmad:

Haha thanks CJ :P

So how much of a performance increase will I see if I get that Xeon or hold off for a higher end i5?

I'm itching to build this machine, should I just bite the bullet and use this 3340s?

if you're trying to keep expenses down andrew, then run what you got, with the understanding that you might be dissatisfied for awhile ...and then you'd be able to save up for a future upgrade...you don't HAVE TO put it all in at one time...

Yeah, but down the road the processor will be worth less if it is used.

Then again it is already an upgrade from my X3220, so I should just do it up.

That is unless someone on here has a better CPU they'd be willing to trade for?

Someone on here is bound to have a higher end 1155 chip sitting around and want to trade for this 3340S, it'd be perfect for an HTPC build. It has the built in GPU and from the reviews I've read will do 1080P HD files quite nicely.

Someone ask me why I paid $195 for a 3340s when I can get a 3570 for ~$210?