Andrewr05s mITX build list

Andrewr05

General is right, forgive me Andrew for engaging in petty scrimmages. It just fires me up when I see guys with i7s and over 9000 gigs of ram telling the little guys to settle for an entry level i3. In the AMD world there is no hierarchy we are all 1337.

I think you're misunderstanding what's going on here.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all purely speculative at the moment, this is just something on the backburner for now.

I may get excited and really get into this, who knows?

What is my cheapest upgrade path as of right now, taking into account that I usually upgrade the CPU a few times over the years?

Obviously I want to upgrade to something equivalent (just upgrade to a newer socket, then get better parts later) or better performing system.

I like buying used.

What I need:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Memory

Things I can keep from my old system:

1. Antec 430W PSU
  2. GTX 285 (or I can use a 4750 I 'acquired')
  3. Harddrives
  4. Antec P182 chassis
  5. optical drives
  6. etc.

My current system, short of the case and power supply and hardrives are all used parts.

I know its definitely not the most sensical way to go about it, but I like getting the cheapest used parts I can find and then slowly fine tuning the system how I like it over the next few years.

It seems like AMD is the way to go for budget now too (at least from what I've been reading) and there are a metric [expletive]-ton of CPU options for AM3+ as well, from semprons right up to bulldozer chips.

DDR3 is dirt cheap too...

If you made it this far and haven't yet facepalmed :pfp: or shaken your head in disbelief then thanks.

Should I wait until I have the money to just outright buy a new system all at once?

AMD or Intel for an extreme budget build?

If you have parts that you're not using, that are less than 2 years old and that you for some reason haven't put into the OCC marketplace yet, let me know.

Also if anyone wants to buy my curent CPU, motherboard and 8GB DDR2, whenever I actually decide to upgrade, let me know.

If anyone is a member of other computer forums and knows of any other members selling decent equipment I'd love to know about it.

94068775.png

BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138345

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

I

For an extra $60.00 this one is a great deal. I think it is on par with what General suggested.

***BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS***

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138341

Edited by Spearsar

Overclocking a 125 watt CPU on a board like that is unwise IMHO.

It would be fine with some added heatsink on the mosfet. It's rated for 125Watt...

However, I would pop for the extra $60 and get a full atx Rated 140Watts.

Edited by Spearsar

It would be fine with some added heatsink on the mosfet. It's rated for 125Watt...

However, I would pop for the extra $60 and get a full atx Rated 140Watts.

Why spend more on an AMD system that is slower overall? :blink:

I wouldn't feel comfortable overclocking on a board like that with any 125 watt CPU even with VRM heatsinks. They just aren't build to handle that kind of power output.

Free performance is always awesome, but I usually stick with mild overclocks anyways versus trying to max out the chip.

Thank you for wanting fo help, but these low end i3s are quite enticing as is and being able to drop in a 2500K down the line is looking damn good.

Edited by Andrewr05

Free performance is always awesome, but I usually stick with mild overclocks anyways versus trying to max out the chip.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go with Intel at this point, you guys can stop recommending AMD gear now.

Unless you find me some used AM3+ hardware for SUPER cheap I don't wanna see it.

Thank you for wanting to help, but these low end i3s are quite enticing as is and being able to drop in a 2500K down the line is looking damn good.

:thumbsup:

Thank you for wanting fo help, but these low end i3s are quite enticing as is and being able to drop in a 2500K down the line is looking damn good.

The i3 really isn't low end though. An i3 isn't that far off from an i5 in gaming performance. Its the graphics card that will make the biggest impact.

If you're not set on a immediate upgrade, which it sounded like from your previous posts than you might like to know that Haswell might release sometime between March and June. Since it is a Tock release there will probably be more of an impact to pricing than Ivy had on Sandy.

He was being sarcastic. He and I have pretty similar views on RAID 0 IIRC. :cheers:

yup, you remember correctly,...raided my home server/work puter, singled the gamer rig,...raid0 doesn't work well for the gamer because it takes longer to access data from multiple hd platter sites, and process and compile it thru multiple circuits, which uses even more processing power and impedes throughput...even with a good high end raid controller card there would be a small deficit...

...but andrew's not into that anyways, i thot i saw from his first post he was keeping his hard drives, so idk why the raid stuff, ...?? :huh: