reformatting harddrive

peshewah

My son's computer has a virus and needs to be reformated. I forget what order I install the drivers. Can someone tell me? Also, I have an aircard I use for internet( i live way out in the sticks). After I install the Windows can I install the aircard and search for new driver on the internet? I built the computer. Thank you for any input.

Edited by peshewah

Generally if you are using an OEM system, once you have an internet connection, you can go onto the manufacturer's website, e.g. Dell, and click on 'Support', then 'Drivers', then search for your system and it will have all the drivers there for you.

Most AirCards are supported by modern OSes out-of-the-box, or are bundled with a software installation CD that will install the AirCard drivers for you

Edit: Just saw you edited your post to say you built the system. Generally a modern OS e.g. Windows 7 or later, will detect and install the drivers for you once you have an internet connection, once you leave it on to download them then reboot it, it will install them for you. Generally I only need to install video card drivers when I reformat my system :thumbsup:

Edited by EuroFight

You may want to download the drivers to external media before you re-format, just in case.

Before I start a new build, a repair, or operating system re-install, I always prepare a driver package with the latest drivers for all the hardware and put it on a USB thumb drive. This comes in handy in the event that for some reason Windows doesn't have a driver (or a good driver) to support the hardware I'm working on. This may seem like a waste of time, but it has saved my arse on multiple occasions.

I thought about doing that IIxNu. Which driver do I need? here is a link http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1041&pid=1235&psn=0006&lid=1&leg=0# Thats alot of drivers . Do I need them all?

You only need to download drivers specific to your device model number; the model number will be on the box, or, if you've discarded the box, on the device it self. Look for the model number and download the matching driver from the manufacturer's web site.

IIxNu that is the link to my specific video card but it shows about 4 different drivers. Do I need all of them. Do I need AMD Media Codec Package? Do I need HydraVision Package? Do I need ATI Catalyst Application Profile? Do I need Catalyst Software Suite?

Edited by peshewah

Before I start a new build, a repair, or operating system re-install, I always prepare a driver package with the latest drivers for all the hardware and put it on a USB thumb drive. This comes in handy in the event that for some reason Windows doesn't have a driver (or a good driver) to support the hardware I'm working on. This may seem like a waste of time, but it has saved my arse on multiple occasions.

From the sound of it, he's got a second working computer. If he does need a driver for whatever reason, he could go download it later on instead of slapping everything on a flash drive.

Good plan if you've got no backup computer though. :)

That is a good idea. Thank you Wevsspot (Go Sooners). I thought about going to the library or a friends house and downloading to a disc. My internet is slow (3g). I am still wondering about which one or all of the drivers I need to install on the link I posted.