Hurricane Sandy

MJCRO

Wait wait wait. Didn't they learn anything from Irene about how to fix stuff in a timely fashion? The possibility of being without power for two weeks is insane.

Theres only so many lineman to do the work. They're even trying to talk my dad into flying from Cali to the east coast to help out. He's been a lineman for like 27 years.

If he goes he'll be working 7 days a week 16 hours a day....restoring power and fixing every power pole doesn't just happen overnight.

edit: and wth happened to my user title...guess it doesn't like "????? ????" anymore lol

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

grrrr someone broked it :(

Edited by Coors

Theres only so many lineman to do the work. They're even trying to talk my dad into flying from Cali to the east coast to help out. He's been a lineman for like 27 years.

If he goes he'll be working 7 days a week 16 hours a day....restoring power and fixing every power pole doesn't just happen overnight.

edit: and wth happened to my user title...guess it doesn't like "????? ????" anymore lol

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Yeah, I know they originally put in an order for some 5000 people (linemen and tree cutters).

The thing is, they actual employees may be working around the clock, but that doesn't mean management is handling it well. I mean my area doesn't seem to have any major damage....all the trees that were down have been cut (thought not entirely cleared), and we're far enough from the water that we've had no flood damage. Restoring power to my area is probably a lot easier than other areas and the sensible thing to do would be to handle the easy areas first so it makes you look better, that you're getting more numbers up quicker.

True, but even still you'd think they'd have a plan in place before hand instead of scrambling afterwards and leaving people in the dark.

and wth happened to my user title...guess it doesn't like "????? ????" anymore lol

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

My special characters in my sig did the same thing, all turned to ????

My special characters in my sig did the same thing, all turned to ????

I changed my sig because my characters showed up as some wierd ones

Server was moved, so could been an issue from that.

• 2 weeks later...

Though some of you are already aware, I guess I should post here....

I finally have power back!

Got it back last night. Was without it for 358.5 hours. No, that's not a typo, that is indeed 14 days 22 hours and 30 minutes.

It's nice to be back on my desktop PC again.

Though some of you are already aware, I guess I should post here....

I finally have power back!

Got it back last night. Was without it for 358.5 hours. No, that's not a typo, that is indeed 14 days 22 hours and 30 minutes.

It's nice to be back on my desktop PC again.

Really happy for you dude! From watching News 12, I can see it was a real mess out the island with that joke of power company LIPA. lol2.gif

Edited by MJCRO

Really happy for you dude! From watching News 12, I can see it was a real mess out the island with that joke of power company LIPA. lol2.gif

Indeed it was. I'm not even in a bad area...I'm right in the middle of the island, so well outside any flood zone. Sure, trees came down, but treecutters took care of that right away....then it took around twelve days to even see a LIPA truck in my town. Ridiculous.

Oh, and you'll love this: When LIPA finally showed up in my backyard to rewire some lines, one of the guys up on the pole lost his grip and the live wire fell to the ground, causing and explosion and sending a surge into my house that blew out the breaker and a GFI in one of the bathrooms. Fire department showed up. Luckily the breaker was still usable, just singed, so an electrician was able to come and switch out the GFI, but initially it looked like it could be another week.

Indeed it was. I'm not even in a bad area...I'm right in the middle of the island, so well outside any flood zone. Sure, trees came down, but treecutters took care of that right away....then it took around twelve days to even see a LIPA truck in my town. Ridiculous.

Oh, and you'll love this: When LIPA finally showed up in my backyard to rewire some lines, one of the guys up on the pole lost his grip and the live wire fell to the ground, causing and explosion and sending a surge into my house that blew out the breaker and a GFI in one of the bathrooms. Fire department showed up. Luckily the breaker was still usable, just singed, so an electrician was able to come and switch out the GFI, but initially it looked like it could be another week.

Wow. Thank god it's wasn't anything worst. By my house we only lost power for like 3 days. A tree came down just around the corner from my house and was hanging on the power line. Took 3 days for some guys to show up and cut the tree down, then bam, we got power back. But it wasn't till another 3 days we had internet, TV, and phone back. This storm was retarded haha.

Wow. Thank god it's wasn't anything worst. By my house we only lost power for like 3 days. A tree came down just around the corner from my house and was hanging on the power line. Took 3 days for some guys to show up and cut the tree down, then bam, we got power back. But it wasn't till another 3 days we had internet, TV, and phone back. This storm was retarded haha.

Ah, three days isn't too bad. That seems to be what the minimum was for anyone who lost power. It sucks you still had to wait for Internet/TV/phone, but at least you had heat and lights and a working fridge. lol