Hurricane Sandy

MJCRO

Just waiting on the increase in wind speed and heavier rain to hit. So far it has been no worse than a heavy rain storm for us.

Yeah, for us it was actually a bit lighter then what it sounds like you got. I have no clue why all the colleges are closed today.

Yeah, for us it was actually a bit lighter then what it sounds like you got. I have no clue why all the colleges are closed today.

it's better to get prepared whatever the storm might bring. flash floods aren't that much predictable, how scary it was when we had that waist deep water inside our house in less than half hour due to that massive rains brought by typhoon Ketsana way back 2009. winds are bearable but the floods crippled almost 90% of the region. we made it though but how hard it is to stand again after the floods brought us to our knees. that was such a horrible experience somewhat i will never forget for the rest of my life. :(

Hopefully everyone else stays safe, I don't think its gonna hit me too hard up here in Vermont.

Says it'll only me ~40MPH winds by the time it reaches me sometime around Friday:

i4REJ.gif

This certainly ramped up since yesterday it seems, we had 30+MPH winds already up here in Vermont, I can't even image how beat up the NY/NJ area was last night.

How bad was it down there?

Internet was out all day yesterday here, no power loss though.

Looks like its just about going to miss Vermont all together:

at201218_5day.gif

NYer checking in.

Spending the day at my brother's place in Queens because he has power/Internet.

Out on LI, I lost power at 630P Monday night and it's been out ever since (and probably will be for awhile). From what I heard, our peak winds were 90mph. It was pretty crazy.

No tree hit our house, but there were five large trees that fell near by, ripping out the sidewalks. Only one crushed a car, and only one house got hit (by 2-3 trees). All the others fell across the streets, but narrowly missed the cars parked in the driveways. Across the street from me, a fence got demolished, but nothing major. I'm somewhat in the middle of the island, so flooding wasn't an issue (and there wasn't much rain).

Cell phone service has been abysmal. I have received a few calls, but have only been able to dial out once. Texting is hit or miss and accessing anything on the Internet is pretty much impossible. Last I heard, the cell companies were worried that power wouldn't be restored to their towers before the generators ran out, so it may get even worse.

Damn that is crazy, never seen trees ripped out the ground so bad it tore up sidewalks :wacko:

With the ground being so completely soaked with rain and/or the 90MPH wind, it makes more sense. Still, crazy just how the trees all look to have their roots intact.

Crazy photos Clay, but damn, that's going to be a lot of work to get all the stuff fixed. Were the trees that hit the neighbor's house about the size of the ones in the pics or different?

Damn that is crazy, never seen trees ripped out the ground so bad it tore up sidewalks :wacko:

Irene did that too to one tree in my area last year, but nothing like this. The roots of those trees just aren't very deep, they simply spread out, so once the top layer of dirt gets moist, it doesn't stand a chance against 90mph winds.

With the ground being so completely soaked with rain and/or the 90MPH wind, it makes more sense. Still, crazy just how the trees all look to have their roots intact.

Crazy photos Clay, but damn, that's going to be a lot of work to get all the stuff fixed. Were the trees that hit the neighbor's house about the size of the ones in the pics or different?

First photo shows the trees against the house that got hit...sorry I didn't get in close to take better photos, but that would have been a bit rude. The second photo with the tree that smashed the SUV...that tree actually went across and hit the house as well, but by the time I took the photo, it had been cut.