TV for "media" room

Nerm

Over the last couple weeks the wife and I have been moving into our new house. We decided to make the upstairs room a spare bedroom/media room/office. It is a fairly large loft style room (about 500 sq. feet). Since it will also serve as a media room I want to put a nice big-screen TV in there. It will be viewing mostly only movies about 99% of the time. Regular TV shows and sports will mostly be watched in the living room. Does anyone have any suggestions on TV's for this purpose?

I don't buy electronics at Wal-Mart. I am partial to Samsung and LG as I have had good luck with those brands. I was more seeking suggestions on specific TV technology I should look for when basically it will only be for movie watching.

I'll buy TVs at walmart just for the ease of return should I ever need to.... I;ve only ever had to return 1 out of many... but the time frame is very short instead of shipping it off if you buy it online

How many windows are in the room? How far away will you be watching it from? Do you want 3D or no? What kind of budget do you have in mind?

For movies, I'd go with a Mitsubishi DLP. Can get a 73" for a little over $1,000, possibly under if you can find a good deal.

If the room is darker, plasma would be a good choice, but the size doesn't compare to DLP in terms of price.

Done the projector thing in the past and wasn't that impressed for the money.

@bp There is only one window and it will be on the back-side of the TV. Seating distance from the TV will be 6-10 feet. Not interested in 3D but I wouldn't say no to a TV just because it has it. Budget I will probably want to keep under $2k since I have to fund a new lab for this house as well.

On a side note I will also be upgrading the DVR to have an HD tuner in it. Currently has an analog Hauppage in it. Any suggestions on tuners or is Hauppage still king in that department?

In that case, I'd look at DLP and plasma for sure. At that distance, a 73" DLP would be nice, as would a 50-60" plasma.

Pretty much the only name in DLP is Mitsubishi. Fantastic sets with a lot of technology being added all the time.

Plasmas, well, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are the good ones to go for. Anything over 50" should only be 1080p, but there may be a few that aren't.