How do I lock people out of my network?

Miek

I have two roommates that use the internet that I pay for. I want them to start coughing up some money for the bill instead of being freeloaders. They've already connected their computers to the internet. How can I block them from using the internet until they start paying me for using it?

If I just change the network key, will they have to enter the new one to use it again?

Edited by Miek

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

change the network name and it will kick them off, or you can put a password on the wifi. if they are plugged in you could turn off the auto DNS and you would have to manually setup everyone connection (including yours)

edit: yeah if you change the network password they will have to re-enter the new one. unless it's autosaved and than it won't ask causing issues for them, not you.

Edited by hornybluecow

MAC address filtering also works. You have to manually enter the MAC address of all computers allowed to connect to the router.

+1 to this, though I had it set up for a while, forgot I did it, then when my friend came over, we couldn't get them on the wireless at all. Couldn't figure out why until I was palying with my router for something completely different. Serious /facepalm.

MAC address filtering also works. You have to manually enter the MAC address of all computers allowed to connect to the router.

doesn't work very well anymore since just about every password sniffer program starts by using a clients mac address. I use to think it was secure until i found people on my network. that's when i looked it up, super easy to do.

Edited by hornybluecow

doesn't work very well anymore since just about every password sniffer program starts by using a clients mac address. I use to think it was secure until i found people on my network. that's when i looked it up, super easy to do.

I should add that I do this in addition to having a 26 character password for my router with whatever the latest scheme is, WPA2 I think. I also don't broadcast my router ID.

Don't bother with MAC filtering. That and WEP are both totally useless for wifi security. There are many ways to kick them off but the simplest has already been suggested "just change the key".

Changing the key works pretty well. When they ask it, tell them to start helping pay for the Internet if they want to continue using it.

+1

frank and straight forward, no pay... no way.

or simply this; :lol:

tell them buy food and you'll give them internet for free.... LOL