How many people are getting Windows 8?

MJCRO

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon, not because I hate it (or think I hate It) but because I see no need. If I had a decent touchscreen monitor then I'd probably try it, the reviews are mixed, but it's unfortunately the way things are going. I still use Vista on my laptop, I don't game on it but it does everything else flawlessly, why upgrade?

agreed! I love Windows 7, no reason for me to "upgrade"

I agree but I think there is another reason as well. When you look at the complaints from most gearheads it revolves around the interface. They either do not like the look or the function but it is always about the interface. Lets face it, the core interface of Windows has not changed for 20 years and a lot of people do not like change.

If they spent time looking at the actual OS, other than the interface they would see a very solid upgrade from Windows 7 at the core.

Yeah, I've played around with it in stores. For touch screens it makes so much sense, but the app-like interface is definitely more cumbersome in a regular PC environment. But, the desktop runs just as you'd expect, so I'm sure after some time, you'd get used to it all.

I think you've unknowingly touched on the problem with most people in this thread - they're simply going by what they've read, like a bunch of sheep.

Reminds me about everything they said before Vista release: "omg, the UAC ruins everything! Vista sucks!"...."oh, you can turn that off?"..."well, whatever, it still sucks!"

No (though I know this response is accounted for when you said "*MOST* people"), I was a happy early adopter of Vista (aka I had a strong machine with 4GB of memory), I simply don't see a reason to "upgrade". I've seen Windows 8 (non metro) on my friend's computer and it seems to run just like Windows 7 so why pay Microsoft for the same thing (at least how I'll be using it)

Ya dig?

key word seems.

yeah...just like a getting standard SSD that SEEMS to run real life performance similar to one of the fastest ones despite benchmarks saying it's appreciably slower?...Why would I upgrade if I would not be taking advantage of the new features, nor SEEING any perceivable benefit??

You getting a cut on Win8 sales or something?? :P

If so, you gotta step up your sales pitch if you wanna get this dollar ;)

Lol no, I would never work for microshaft.

Just saying more people would like it if they actually tried it instead of making conclusions from shoddy reviews

I've used Windows 8 on a Dell touchscreen and although the GUI would work great on touchscreen devices, using a mouse when launching a program for example, I can do in 7 while moving the mouse across 1 corner of the screen, with 8, I have to scroll though a couple of launch screens and then click it.

For touchscreen devices this it's great, larger buttons, better touch response etc. but for those using standard keyboard/mouse it it's more work using 8 than 7. I don't buy a new OS to install a third-party mod so I can use it either. :P

And don't even get me started in the new logo :lol:

/endrant

For anyone who couldn't be bothered to read all that text, in my opinion, Windows 8 is great on touchscreen devices, but for those using a keyboard and mouse it is slightly harder to use.

Edited by EuroFight

I've used Windows 8 on a Dell touchscreen and although the GUI would work great on touchscreen devices, using a mouse when launching a program for example, I can do in 7 while moving the mouse across 1 corner of the screen, with 8, I have to scroll though a couple of launch screens and then click it.

For touchscreen devices this it's great, larger buttons, better touch response etc. but for those using standard keyboard/mouse it it's more work using 8 than 7. I don't buy a new OS to install a third-party mod so I can use it either. :P

So you're basing this all on what? 5 minutes of use? :mfp:

So you're basing this all on what? 5 minutes of use? :mfp:

4 hours wasted at work fiddling around with Windows 8 developer release...Windows server 2012 looks cool though

Edited by EuroFight

Even worse.

I also tried dev preview...last year, It was terrible.

Since I had early access to the final release, I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised.

Try the full release if you have time and see if you'll change your mind about it :)

Even worse.

I also tried dev preview...last year, It was terrible.

Since I had early access to the final release, I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised.

Try the full release if you have time and see if you'll change your mind about it :)

I'll give it a shot today if I have time and report back...I must admit I kinda lost faith in Windows 8 at that point but if what you say is correct I'll give it a try :cheers: