MJCRO

How many people are getting Windows 8?

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

Oh really.

We have had close to 70 laptops returned from old folks. So far I have not met one old person that has enjoyed it at all. They either want a Win 7 Laptop or 8 deleted and Win 7 installed.

Its frusting and very time consuming :(

A lot of this is just ignorance of the OS. When I take about 30 minutes and show them how to use it, every client I have has been happy with it.

That's not really practicable. Windows 8 is terrible for old timers.

It's been out for a while, and my viewpoint still stands: I wouldn't even pirate Windows 8. It's not even worth stealing.

EDITED: I previously wrote a rant about Windows 8 here, but I decided to give it some more time before I pass judgement. If anyone has some helpful hints about dealing with the start screen that would be cool, but I'm going to see if I can get used to it.

Also,

I re-install Windows regularly. With Windows 7, I have been able to easily activate over the internet every time on the same computer. Is Windows 8 as easy, or is it going to give me a hassle if I try to activate it too many times?

Thanks

Edited by 90sgamer

I've been running it since RTM, for about a week or so during that time I used Win7.. couldn't stand it and went back to 8.

Love some of the changes in 8, especially the new explorer. Plus theres nothing thats been removed that makes me rage and go back to the inferior 7 anyway.

Nothing that's inferior?? Try shutting down or putting it to sleep LOL, that alone will keep me off Windows 8 though I have a very novel fix that I ought to pitch to Microsoft to fix the BIG problem

The search function is worse IMHO as well

Oh really.

We have had close to 70 laptops returned from old folks. So far I have not met one old person that has enjoyed it at all. They either want a Win 7 Laptop or 8 deleted and Win 7 installed.

Its frusting and very time consuming :(

A lot of this is just ignorance of the OS. When I take about 30 minutes and show them how to use it, every client I have has been happy with it.

I wouldn't say that. You take 70+ year old people and give them a big change they don't like it. I can't blame them to be honest. They are used to seeing the start menu and it being easy to find things, I can see Win 8 being overwhelming to some people. I know there was a few instances of older software not working but worked fine on Win 7. Oh the joys of new OS's haha.

I don't mind UI changes, if it's overall better but when it's harder to do something of core importance (like shutting down or searching in Win 8's case) then they won't have me switching.

Being that i already have Win8 I put yes, lol. Honestly guys, you just have to get a little used to Windows 8. There is about a 2 week adjustment period... Once you get used to it, its great!

So many cool fun features, for me the biggest advantage of the switch to win8 of 7 was that win8 can run Hyper-v!! I used hyper-v extensively at work for our virtual cluster and having hyper-v at home without having to dual boot into a server os anymore is major win/win for me.

Being that i already have Win8 I put yes, lol. Honestly guys, you just have to get a little used to Windows 8. There is about a 2 week adjustment period... Once you get used to it, its great!

So many cool fun features, for me the biggest advantage of the switch to win8 of 7 was that win8 can run Hyper-v!! I used hyper-v extensively at work for our virtual cluster and having hyper-v at home without having to dual boot into a server os anymore is major win/win for me.

There's no way I'll be be able to use power controls or search the control panel quicker in Win 8 then Win 7 lol

There's no way I'll be be able to use power controls or search the control panel quicker in Win 8 then Win 7 lol

Power control I agree but search in 8 from metro is quicker.

Power control I agree but search in 8 from metro is quicker.
Try searching windows update (or any other section of the control panel) in Win8 Metro then do it in Win7 Start Menu...THEN try telling me it's quicker for all things ;)

^^ And this argument of Win 7 vs Win 8 will go on & on.. lol.

Only until they fix those two things, I will not budge.

Tried Windows 8 Pro, 64-Bit on one of my work stations running multi-cards, and spent hours fixing most of the software compatibility issues, except for randomly when waking from sleep mode computer would stop responding (black screen) No patch, or setting adjustment solved issue. :-/

Microsoft told me "When there are more than 8 logical processors, some logical processors do not receive the nonmaskable interrupt that instructs the system to restart, there fore the system stops responding" WTF kind of answer is that?  :wacko:  . For the type work I do, while multi-tasking on more than 8 logical processors,..

Win 8 is not compatible with most of the software I run.

I went back to Win 7 Pro 64-Bit and system is 100% stable, running same hardware & software.

Win 8 may work just fine on a notebook or basic home computer, but you will regret trying to use it on a high end work station. :down:  

Edited by Braegnok

Have been using 8 pro since January (I think...?) and not encountered any issues, even with all the relatively obscure software and hardware I use. Of course though I don't use IE, touch functions or any of the 'apps' - so that might have something to do with it.