AMD Vishera FX-8350 Reviewed

Bosco

Wow...it's not any more efficient than the 8150 at stock. The higher clocks can be blamed for that I guess...which means overclocked consumption should be down a decent amount (but still sky high).

Oh well. People will buy them anyway. :lol:

THe slightly lower power consumption brought about by using resonant mesh technology allows either higher clocks with the same or slightly lower TDP or much improved consumption numbers at a lower clock speed. They chose the higher clocks and stayed close to the same power envelope.

Looks sick if you were going to build a video editing/encoding workstation. Second only to the i7-3960x in handbrake, that is some serious power, for only $220. If I was going to build a new secondary rig, this would be the CPU i'd use in it.

For people complaining about the single threaded performance, can you name ONE program that is only single threaded which is intensive enough to for you to actually notice a drop in performance compared to, say, a i7 3770k?

What I'm getting at is that most single threaded programs are office/productivity focused, and older games. Do you really need massive power for programs like that?

I'm no AMD fanboy, I've been buying Intel for my last 4 rigs, but you have to admit this is some powerful hardware at a great price. :cheers:

• Like 1

Looks sick if you were going to build a video editing/encoding workstation. Second only to the i7-3960x in handbrake, that is some serious power, for only $220. If I was going to build a new secondary rig, this would be the CPU i'd use in it.

For people complaining about the single threaded performance, can you name ONE program that is only single threaded which is intensive enough to for you to actually notice a drop in performance compared to, say, a i7 3770k?

What I'm getting at is that most single threaded programs are office/productivity focused, and older games. Do you really need massive power for programs like that?

I'm no AMD fanboy, I've been buying Intel for my last 4 rigs, but you have to admit this is some powerful hardware at a great price. :cheers:

The Binding of Isaac ran like crap on my 8120 even at 4.5 GHz. :lol:

• 1 year later...

hate to necro this old thread, but I plan to upgrade in a few months and was searching around and was led to this comparison.  I'm curious why the intel test bed was given twice as much ram and curious what kind of effect this would have on the results