Any Excel Gurus?

Fogel

My mind is burnt so I'm thinking I just don't know how to phrase my search criteria to google, but perhaps someone here might be able to help.

PRIMARY ISSUE

I am trying to do a comparison of two cells in Excel. I imported the data the same way into Excel via text file but one file requires more effort in removing extraneous data. The problem is when I run a IF statement asking if the two values are equal (mix of numbers and letters) it returns false even though the two are identical. Only way I been able to fix is it to Cut one cell into Notepad and then repaste over the "original" value and then do the same for the second cell. Then magically the formula returns True. So I am guessing there is some hidden characters or it is using a different ASCII code.

So the question is what is quickest way to fix this without resorting to Cutting and Pasting in Notepad for the multiple thousands of entries I have?

SECONDARY ISSUES

Would also be nice to know how to do the following:

•  
  • What is the quickest way I can remove leading spaces? (Example: " 99999999")
  • If different than above what is the quickest way to remove spaces in general? (Example: " 99 99 99 99 99")
  • Best way to parse/strip data from a block of varied text in excel?

If I'm understanding you correctly the secondary issue can be resolved by using the following:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")

This essentially replaces all the spaces with nothing -- at least it's a quick way to do it too...

This may help with the first issue as well. There are also some fxns to help clean up non-used ASCII characters in excel -- CLEAN() for example or TRIM()... you can also combine these with the substitute fxn to remove things as well...

If I'm understanding you correctly the secondary issue can be resolved by using the following:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")

This essentially replaces all the spaces with nothing -- at least it's a quick way to do it too...

This may help with the first issue as well. There are also some fxns to help clean up non-used ASCII characters in excel -- CLEAN() for example or TRIM()... you can also combine these with the substitute fxn to remove things as well...

:woo::cheers::woo:

If I could hug you right now I would hug you so hard Waco would kick my arse!

Thanks so much!

I still have a need to parse through blocks of text to extract what I want, but I am gonna try and figure that out next week. If I fry my brain next week, expect a question, or two, or three next week. :P