copying image of win7 pro from 90gb partition to new 128gb ssd?

rieds

think i might just do a clean install. one other question, my copy of win 7 is a administrative copy which means i get no free microsoft support. as long as my motherboard and processor are the same ill have no problem activating correct? changing drives doesnt affect this?

think i might just do a clean install. one other question, my copy of win 7 is a administrative copy which means i get no free microsoft support. as long as my motherboard and processor are the same ill have no problem activating correct? changing drives doesnt affect this?

Whether it's a new install or a restoring of an image, you will have to re-activate your Product Key.

Whether it's a new install or a restoring of an image, you will have to re-activate your Product Key.

If it's the same hardware with the exception of the HDD/SSD it won't even trigger the reactivation prompt.

I went with a new install but didn't realize I had to unplug my other drives and The ssd is coupled with a partition of one of my other drives as one drive. I've unplugged the hdd Drives individually and reformatted them and was wondering if I can fix the win7 install on the ssd or if im gonna have to wipe it out and reinstall?

Edited by rieds

I went with a new install but didn't realize I had to unplug my other drives and The ssd is coupled with a partition of one of my other drives as one drive. I've unplugged the hdd Drives individually and reformatted them and was wondering if I can fix the win7 install on the ssd or if im gonna have to wipe it out and reinstall?

Are you talking about a JBOD setup or RAID?? I'm also confused here

IE: You had your bootloader on the HDD and the install on the SSD?

The Windows recovery console *might* be able to fix that, but I doubt it.

I did something similar using Linux as my middle-man. It is FAR easier to just reinstall on the SSD, copying the bootloader section can make for an unhappy day. It's not that it isn't possible, it's just re-installing is a better use of your time than if anything fouls up.

Don't forget to make sure you're set to AHCI instead of IDE in bios for your drives BEFORE installing windows if you want the performance boost.

Thanks for the replies. I'll suck it up and reinstall. I'll make sure to leave the 2 HDD's unplugged This time. I'll explain better so maybe other people don't have the same problem. I installed win 7 to a new ssd. But I didn't unplug my hdd's so when I was finished I couldn't find one partition of one of my hdd's. I looked at disk management and it showed that partition as a seperate drive that was unallocated. The other partition was shown as a partition that was part of drive 0 coupled with my ssd.

Edited by rieds