Need some assurances with high performance air-cooling setup

I get the following with some rough math:

1.37795 * .036127 psi * ((120 mm) * 120 mm) = 1.1111186 pounds force

1.37795 inches of water

.036127 psi per inch of water

22.32 square inches of total fan area (extremely optimistic)

That gives 1.37795 * .036127 = 0.0497 psi

At 22.32 square inches you're looking at about 1.1 pounds of force, maximum, assuming the thrust area is equal to the frame of the fan and the fan can produce 35mm H20 with the heatsink restriction in front of it.

Someone check my math there but I don't think he has anything to worry about other than startup torque especially if he has his heatsink oriented so that the fan exhausts upward. With a fan controller that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have six 5000+ RPM Nidec Beta Vs I can strap on a few heatsinks if we want to get crazy and measure the actual thrust when running. :teehee:

That would actually be interesting to know. I have no idea how to figure the resistance (or the lowering of resistance) the heatsink would cause, but Using conversions @ convertunits.com that is very close to what I came up with (I was at 0.051psi) so virtually the same. So I am thinking the 1.1lbs from the fan, the 13.40 ounces fan weight,and the 900g of heatsink weight. add how tall and cantilevered the Megahalems are and the torque of the Delta and it goes a bit beyond my comfort of the PCB and backplate to handle/distribute all that long term, especially moving the machine. But like i said, I'm not going to try to talk him out of it. The sound from those is a different story...Yikes!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4 amp fan plugged into a motherboard. Usually they peak out at about an AMP and that is all the motherboard should ever handle. I would not plug it into the motherboard connector and just use a fan controller. NZXT Bunk would be a good one.