Need some assurances with high performance air-cooling setup

A few days ago I purchased a Delta PFB1212UHE-F00 fan for my Megahalems. The fan arrived today and I'm wondering if it's safe to plug in this fan in the way I'm thinking. Before you reply please read what I have to say, and look at the fan's specs and pictures here. The fan moves at 5500 RPM and pushes around 252.85 CFM of air, it's also 120mm and consumes 4.80A of power.

I see the fan has two connectors. From what I can tell the fan is powered via a molex power connector which goes straight to the PSU. The second cable is a 3-pin fan connector with only a blue cable for PWM control.

My question is this: Can I safely connect the 3-pin fan connector into my motherboard's CPU fan header to control the speeds, and power the fan using the molex connector? Furthermore, is this how it's expected to be done? Or do I require a dedicated fan controller? At this point I really urge anyone reading this to look closely at the pictures and refer to my previous description of the cables. I'm new to overclocking and cooling in general, but after doing the research I see no reason why this shouldn't work. Of course, I don't want to be wrong in my assumptions and melt my CPU fan header and put over $3,000 of hardware at risk.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong about this but i thought the 3rd pin is for temp not for controlling the fan speed. I think the 4 pin ones do that.

you are right about that, the 3 pin only shows the fan speed, he needs a 4 pin plug for the mb to control the speed . I don't think this is meant for a cpu fan, it's meant to be used for a case fan. Either way to quiet it down the op will need a fan controller.

I would not put a fan with this much torque and 35mm/H2o air pressure on a heatsink, 35mm/H2O is over 7lbs per square foot on a heatsink that already weighs almost 800g without the fans... but thats just me. :)

what if we plug it at the motherboard's? will burn any?

A good chance yes.

And holy wow 35mmH2O that's crazy. But as far as this force affecting anything, I wouldn't count on it. If the fan is attached to the heatsink it cannot apply a net force on it. Like trying to hoist your own body into the air lol :)