2013 Build suggestions

alentor

Hello guys!

Sorry I haven't been online on the forums that much in the last 3 years, didn't have the time nor the ability, I'm finishing my Military Service in December, which means I'll be more active on the forums! (YAY!)

The ring I'm planing to build will mainly serve me for Gaming, Modeling, Rendering and Software engineering. Looking to build it somewhere around Q1 2013.

I want to run a Quad Channel memory. The main question I got is, should I be waiting for Haswel or Build the rig around Ivy Bridge? From what I read online the difference in performances between Haswel and Ivy Bridge will be somewhere around 15% mark, is that all? Is the information correct or just speculations?

Thank you!

Congratulation on your (soon to be) discharge :thumbsup:

Quad Channel? Then you'd want neither. You'll want to run either Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge-E (which rumors have said will be released on Q3 2013).. So if you're going to build it on Q1 2013, you've got no choice but go with SB-E..

Congratulation on your (soon to be) discharge :thumbsup:

Quad Channel? Then you'd want neither. You'll want to run either Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge-E (which rumors have said will be released on Q3 2013).. So if you're going to build it on Q1 2013, you've got no choice but go with SB-E..

Thank you! Yeah, don't mention that, the more closer I get the more terrified I'm about what to expect next. University, work... God knows what... It's like resuming your life after almost 4 years of being away, not entirely away but.. You get the point.

So I'm looking for Sandy Bride - E, what chip do you recommend? For the best price - overclocking capability?

Hey there stranger!!

So you want to build one *ring* to rull them all huh?? :P

May I ask why you'd want quad channel memory??

Hello there <3, it seems like you are still stuck with the same avatar.

Well, now that you mention it. I did a bit of research and it seems like a faster dual channel is better when it comes to rendering than a standard quad channel. Uhmmm.... So what do you suggest?,Sir.

EDIT: It's simple! Bigger = Better, right?

Edited by alentor

Hello there <3, it seems like you are still stuck with the same avatar.

Well, now that you mention it. I did a bit of research and it seems like a faster dual channel is better when it comes to rendering than a standard quad channel. Uhmmm.... So what do you suggest?,Sir.

EDIT: It's simple! Bigger = Better, right?

Of course

I always say memory is memory is memory :P, capacity being the greatest benefit over speed over channel.

If always

Of course

I always say memory is memory is memory :P, capacity being the greatest benefit over speed over channel.

If always

So what you are saying I should be looking for more Capacity than for faster latencies?

Aight!! Which means a i7 3930K along with Asus Sabertooth X79 s2011(or any other X79 chip Motherboard), equipped with Corsair 4x8GB Vengeance Quad (10-10-10-27), in the future I'll get a beter binned ram so 24Gigs should be enough for starters.

I use a SB-E setup as well, another thing you can do is the more ram you have the bigger of a ram cache you can use which will make your performance with large files retardedly fast, not to mention basically no latency in in programs. The better the ram the better your performance will be as well, so better ram can be worth it. Personally I'm still only running 16gb and 8gb of that is the cache.

heres a vid of a comparission of the difference with my cache off and on.