Networking recommendations, please

kendellrt

I would like some networking recommendations. I am currently running Moto Surfboard 5101 DOCSIS 2 modem on a connection that supports DOCSIS 3 speeds. It is connected to an Apple AirPort Extreme Dual-band router. I would like the speeds that I am paying for. Do you have any recommendations for a DOCSIS 3 modem, or possibly a modem/wifi router combo to replace both of them?

The Motorola SBG6580 offers DOCSIS 3.0 compatibility and wireless capability.

I've got a stand alone wireless router that I use with the Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and I've been really pleased with the performance. The SB6121 has replaced the SB6120 though.

Does your ISP have DOCSIS 3.0 rolled out?

The Motorola SBG6580 offers DOCSIS 3.0 compatibility and wireless capability.

I've got a stand alone wireless router that I use with the Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and I've been really pleased with the performance. The SB6121 has replaced the SB6120 though.

Does your ISP have DOCSIS 3.0 rolled out?

We have up to 105Mbps available here. I have a 30Mbps service, which a DOCSIS 2.0 should do, but I am bottlenecking a bit with my current hardware. I am looking at the SB6121 and an AC router.

We have up to 105Mbps available here. I have a 30Mbps service, which a DOCSIS 2.0 should do, but I am bottlenecking a bit with my current hardware. I am looking at the SB6121 and an AC router.

I think you'll be happy with that combination. The new Netgear R6300 ac router looks like a beast. Is that the one you're considering? They are pretty pricey, but probably worth it considering the extra features and future proofing built in to the unit. Best of luck.

You might call the cable company and get them to come out an meter your signal, make sure to let em know at what times of the day its slowing down. It could be something as simple as a new drop needs to be run, or an amp turned up some. If you fell it's your own equipment still then maybe upgrading to the docsis3.0 will help but If they are saying 2.0 is good enough it's likely on thier end. I for one would not waste money on a router, just get an old pc out the attic and load pfsense on it, it'll be faster and have better features then any router you'll ever buy anyway.

Edited by Mikesnow