Learning sql?

freddie

Hey guys, i need to learn how to use sql server, will be using the 2012 edition, where is a good place to start?

mysql and sql server are slightly different

I wouldn't say slightly at all. While they both incorporate some of the same basic SQL syntax, from a procedural syntax and DBMS they are incredibly different.

If you want to learn, go download the database. You can get MS SQL Server 2012 Express and MySQL for free. W3 Schools offers a free basic tutorial for actually writing SQL code. This should apply pretty well to either server. As far as the actual management, installation, configuration, and tuning, and procedural aspect related to a specific database, you'll need to go get a book (or several) for that. I really cannot recommend any worthwhile books for MS SQL Server, however for MySQL I'd highly recommend the MySQL 5.0 Certification Study Guide. This book was published by MySQL (before they were purchased by Sun and then Oracle) and is excellent for learning and as a reference.

Express version is just a "lite" version, while the Enterprise Edition is the whole shebang. You can start with either, but with the Express version, it comes with sample DB's. You can always download and install the sample DB's for non-Express versions. There are tutorials with those sample DB's as well. Just go through those tutorials.

Would you say server express would be easier to get used to? because I currently have the SQL Server 2012 enterprise edition

You won't notice much difference between the two. Express is free, lacks some advanced features, and has limitations on hardware. If you have enterprise, might as well go with that.

SQL Server dates gave me a strong headache before I realized they had different format from MySQL.

Anyway the basc syntax is the same so if you learn SQL then you can use any DBMS.

Now i'm using Hibernate so I'm not written in SQLcode anymore.

ps: I learned SQL in university not as SQL but in a subject named Introduction to Databases which you get a lot of background to understand SQL and other DBMSs. But I think you can learn from tutorials too. Is just that is always have a nice background that only universities provides. Knowing only SQL syntax would let you outside of some important concepts like performance, etc.

Regards,

Edited by loco_frags