Sign in to follow this  
Queenz

Need help moving on with computer engineering

Hey guys need a little help here.

I'm in a 2 year community college right now aiming to get my associates degree in applied science with my major being computer repair tech. Me knowing computer repair is a dead end career I'm wanting to use this degree to move on into the more engineering concept of computers.

Sometime in the fall next year I'm wanting to transfer to a 4 year college/university after I get my associates degree and start aiming for my bachelors degree. The thing is I have my mind set on computer engineering.

I'm wanting to go to a state college and get the degree. But the thing is they only offer a bachelors degree in computer engineering technology. But I have people telling me that a computer engineering technology degree is technically not a real engineering degree and it's more of an applied degree to get people started out in the workforce after graduating. It's like more of a hands on skill kind of degree.

People are telling me if I want to become a real computer engineer I need to get a bachelors degree in computer engineering not engineering technology from a university and not a college. And that computer engineering involves more math and theoretical thinking and less hands on.

From my understanding a bachelors in computer engineering technology and a bachelors in computer engineering both make almost the same salaries, but the real engineering degree allows you to advance further. I know it's not always about degrees and more about experience in the workforce but I'm curious.

Thanks for the helps guys. This whole thing has me worrying constantly because it's making it hard on what career path I actually want to take and what I want to do with myself.

I have no idea how I can help you, but does your school have an advisor of some sort you can talk to? The people at my university are a huge amount of help for that.

I feel that I can offer some good perspective here. Computer engineering degree, know some people with engineering tech degrees.

From my understanding, the engineering technology degree is more "hands on" but it really depends on your school and what you make of it. One guy I worked with had a CET degree and he is doing very well for himself and was very smart. Some of the people I went to school with said that the ET degrees had easier classes, but I cannot comment on that from first hand experience. In my program there was plenty of hands on work, in that we actually wrote a bunch of software, built circuits, transistor layout, FPGA programming, etc. It wasn't just learning about circuit theory and doing algorithm analysis all the time. I'm not sure if I am being clear enough on this, so please ask for clarification if necessary.

As far as whether both degrees offer the same salary and what not, I can only speak to my own companies organization. People with an ET degree rather than an engineering degree are only allowed into tech positions rather than engineering positions, based on company policy. One of the techs in my department just got his engineering degree and another went back to school part time as soon as he was hired to be able to advance more. As far as I know the techs have a much lower salary ceiling compared to people with "Engineer" in their job title.

What college were you looking at? You might be able to find one with a computer engineering program if you are willing to look outside of your state. I know that you likely won't be able to get the in-state resident discount but it might still be cheaper than a private institution. Based on your name of Queenz, and the fact that I thought at one point that you said you were from New York state, I would recommend giving a look at SUNY Buffalo. They have a computer engineering program and was one of two schools that I looked at. I ended up going with RIT due to the co-op program, but I thought that UB was good also.