Fogel

Smart Phone Comparison

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

Yeah I do, I actually have two spares but I have a really strong one that can do it all on it's own, I just use the second strongest while the other charges. Something's wrong with the third so it's never used...it only holds like 1200mAh now while the second fluctuates between 1700-1900mAh and the best one is up at ~2600mAh

You know the other option to actual batteries is battery packs and you just plug and charge. I doubt any Xperia will get a battery case doubt even the HTC One X will get one :lol: so that's off the cards.

Me I just don't see myself needing as much battery as you :P plus I always have a charger in the car so I can surf the net with my 5gb of data all day long and not worry.

Fogel.....

In essence if you decide to not change carriers and stick with verizon I probably would do the RAZR... but I dont know... I really like the HTC and personally I;d prolly get one of those just because I;ve played with a few (phones LOL) and really like them....

I had verizon for over 10 years but when they got the iPhone and really upped their prices here I dropped them like a hot potato and havent looked back. The other side of the equation for me is cost... How much is that convenience really worth? To me it isnt worth the high price verizon charges its customers. I used to be on a plan where I got a new phone every year because I had 4 phone under contract and when They dropped that and upped the data plan price i couldnt see the cost being worth it... my bill went from 125.00 a month to almost 250.00 a month just because their price structure change said we had to have data plans for our phones... come contract time I went elsewhere...

I am currently with Cricket Wireless and it is perfect here....and it is cheap

if money isnt a factor and saving for your future isnt either then pick whatever lol....

I Like the S3 but its kid in front of the NOTE II its the best due to the screen size and portability

Probably depends on whether you need working maps or not (iPhone 5 LMAO).

At any rate - I think most of the phones you're considering all have their pro's and con's. I can't pry the iPhone out of the wife's hands, but I wouldn't use one myself. One great thing about Android phones is the ability to root and superuse. They really are devices that give you complete control over the user experience if you know what you're doing.

I'd say for simplicity pick Apple - even my 75 year old dad can use one. If you want to tweak, customize and really make your phone unique, then go for a Droid phone. I've had two Samsung phones running Android and I really liked them both. Still running an Infuse 4G to this day (PA Jelly Bean ROM of course :))

if money isnt a factor and saving for your future isnt either then pick whatever lol....

If money wasn't a factor I would have bought a smart phone LOOONG time ago. ;)

I really wasn't keen on starting a poll for this topic, but I am now contemplating start a cell phone service poll and see what others think of the service providers they have used. Right now I am leaning toward AT&T and Sprint. I would choose Sprint if they already had 4G LTE. Supposedly they will offer it up to 100 cities by the end of the year, but I don't live in any of them so I had to laugh when I saw Puerto Rico has a large listing of cities of supported. Must be a good reason for it but it doesn't help me out. I may still go with them to lock into the unlimited data plan.

Probably depends on whether you need working maps or not (iPhone 5 LMAO).

At any rate - I think most of the phones you're considering all have their pro's and con's. I can't pry the iPhone out of the wife's hands, but I wouldn't use one myself. One great thing about Android phones is the ability to root and superuse. They really are devices that give you complete control over the user experience if you know what you're doing.

I'd say for simplicity pick Apple - even my 75 year old dad can use one. If you want to tweak, customize and really make your phone unique, then go for a Droid phone. I've had two Samsung phones running Android and I really liked them both. Still running an Infuse 4G to this day (PA Jelly Bean ROM of course :))

I may be a PC guy. I may hate Propertiery crap with a passion. And might I also add that I really hate iTunes something fierce ...but the iPhone is most definitely in the running. Why? Because it is solid hardware and right now the HW means more to me than the SW. One thing I can appreciate about the iPhone craze is that at least it is getting Sprint to get off their lazy arses and start rolling out 4G LTE. I won't say the iPhone is leading the charge. Before the weekend it was Xpera then S3 then IP5. Now that I've read some more articles it is an all out slugathon between the Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Apple iPhone 5. So essentially one from each O/S ...tho not intended to be that way. I can't really say the W8 O/S impresses me though ...otherwise the Nokia would have an even greater advantage - despite being a Nokia phone.

You can jailbreak an iphone, maybe not to the same degree as a droid, but hackers can hack. I don't need to be doing anything super intensive on my phone anyway. Like bowtie said, more time spend doing non-phone related activities the less battery power you have when you need it to be a phone. I have played with both iphones and droids and as far as I'm concerned both sides have something worth offering. Its not quite as slanted as apple haters make it out to be. For me iphones are kinda boring but they get the job done and do it well. Droids are more fun but take more work. It's almost like the difference of driving an automatic vs a stick. The stick is more fun but in heavy traffic the automatic is more preferable. Sometimes you want to play around with your phone, but other times you just want something solid to work with.

Gonna try and update the OP to add information for both the Nokia Lumia 920 and Xperia X / XT. (still in the running, just not as crazy as I once was)

If money wasn't a factor I would have bought a smart phone LOOONG time ago. ;)

Actually, I was just thinking about this last night. I have an iP4 and a GS3 but now that I really put on some thoughts into it, I realised that both of them are of little use to me. I don't play with them cause of this and that, but mainly cause it will drain it's battery. I don't use it to watch movies for the same reason. I don't really listen to music with it cause I listen to music with my sound system in my living room or my Car's speakers. I rarely use it when I'm traveling either cause when I do travel, I'd usually have other things that can keeps me occupied for the duration of the journey (e.g In the car, I'll either be driving or chatting with my friend/family members in the car, or sometimes sleep when I'm tired. In planes, I'll be preoccupied by the IFE or exploring the interior and flightpath, or sleep when I'm tired)

I only use my phone frequently when I'm doing basic stuff that a dumbphone can do: sending messages and placing/receiving calls. So, if I were to put up a chart, Calls and Texting/IMs would make up ~85% of my phone usage and ~10% would be browsing on the go and probably ~3% to take some quick shots. That only leaves another ~2% that comprises of rooting/jailbreaking, tweaking, exploring, playing, watching and making use of it's unique features.

So here's the question I've been trying to answer since last night:

Usability wise, why would I need to spend $700 on a Smartphone when I only need <$200 for a slightly "smarter" dumbpohne or an "Entry-level" smartphone that satisfies 95% of my "Phone-ing" needs?

Now, I'm finding the Razr M attractive for it's simple design, features and specification. Doesn't pack much excess horsepower and the design does satisfy my "showing-off" ego.

At this rate, I might even consider getting a cheap Blackberry since I'll only need it for calling, texting/IMs and browsing.

Didn't mean to rant but just sharing my thoughts.

:cheers:

Edited by vandreadstriker

Oh my. I'd never spend $700 on a phone. If I can't get one I want when my upgrades come due then I wait. I don't mind getting a bargain on a previous model. That's exactly why I'm still on my Infuse. Got a refurbished one for .99 cents when I renewed my contract. The most out of pocket I've ever spent on a phone was my last Palm Pre and it cost me $79 bucks.

As far as carriers go................ I used to be on Cingular. When AT&T bought them I switched to Verizon, and then later switched to Sprint. I wasn't overwhelmed with either and Sprint was a real issue when I was traveling extensively back in my automotive industry days. I ended up switching back to AT&T and have been with them since.

And I do still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan :)

If I had the sort of cash lying around that would enable me to buy a new new cellphone, I'd be an iPhone 5 - without a contract. In the UK at least it works out cheaper over the phone's lifetime to buy the handset outright and get a separate SIM-only contract.

Why?

I use a bunch of apps that are iOS only, and (maybe I'm getting old) I don't like messing about with rooting and all that business anymore, plus the convenience of service at the Apple store is great.

I would consider a Windows based handset, and I really like the design of the UI, plus the Nokia models - but they have none of the apps that I regularly use on there.

Plus every Android handset I've had, or a friend has had (including all the Galaxy range models) has broken.

I've read about / around that the Nokia 920 is supposedly a sweet phone if you like W8.

1348667902[/url]' post='2052396']

Oh my. I'd never spend $700 on a phone.

Sadly that's how much the S3 cost here.. More specifically $680. But I managed to trade it with my old Sensation so I end up paying $370 instead.. We're not to fond of contracts for some reason. I personally don't really like being restrained by contracts either.

Edited by vandreadstriker

I can understand the "no-contract" mentality for sure. Most everyone on my plan uses their phone for business as well as personal use (except for dad). So part of our monthly bill gets paid for by the business account :)

While the domestic S3 is only dual core instead of quad, I think it's important to mention that it also has 2GB of RAM as opposed to the international version's 1GB. I think that's a worthy tradeoff, and not sure if it was mentioned here yet (even after a quick skim through the posts).