WTF. Am I cursed?

Fragsman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 140mm fan that came on the Thermaltake Frio Advanced was poorly designed and the blades actually stick out too far from the housing and will collide with what it's connected to. Really stupid, not sure if that's your problem but I definitely had to use a couple of washers to space the fan out from the heatsink or else it would bang together.

All electric fans have a little back and forth play in the plane that is perpendicular to the fan blades. That in and of itself isn't usually a cause for worry unless there is enough play to cause interference between one or more of the fan blades and the fan frame. And contrary to popular belief you don't have to spend $20 on a fan to get good quality. Yate-Loon fans are an example.

edit:

Well.. i'll use the lube that my father use to put on machines.. is the only one I have.. I don't even know if it is wd-40 or what.. I used on an older PC fans and it did the job!

The problem is the fan could be moving this way:

graphic1eb.jpg

That's what I observed today..

My real worry is that might be hard to get a replacement. Most easier fan to replace is 80mm, then 120mm and last 230mm. Only a few cases uses 230mm fans and consider i'm in Argentina. I can get all kind of hardware but 230mm fan is not so easy since is very specific for some cases

ps: did u liked my noob draw? made on Corel :P

fan blades do move both that way if you try to push/pull it with your hands while at rest. but if it moves or wobbles while running, you've got a fan to go.

Edited by sword_fish

I just hope it last some more time. I went the the big shopping I previously said and found zero 230mm fan. Nearly impossible to replace it once dead. Maybe I could find it in another strange place. And about replacing the bearings... You need to disarm it and probably I would totally break or need to have some expertice doing it.. :P ... that McMaster looks like a site for pro-modders or engineers