Ubutu vs Samsung vs cellphone

stinkpot

I am operating Ubuntu 12.04 on an Acer Aspire One. I love ubuntu. To me, it is a God send especially out here in West Africa. My dealing with Ubuntu 12.04, it has the ablity to recognize any hardware device that is attached to it. Recently, my parent came for a visit, I took both of their Samsung Android cellphones and plug them into my netbook to retrieve some photos from it. Both of their devices was not dedected by Ubuntu. I ran a vitual michine on my system. Windows 7 could see their devices but did not have the drivers for both of them.

I bought a Samsung Duo phone for personal use. I saw some cool apps for my phone on the Samsang website. I plug the Samsang Duo on to my netbook, but Ubuntu failed to see it. It tried Gnome and KDE with no avail. It is not a USB issue because the icon on my phone indict that it is charging.

Is Ubuntu having trouble with cellphones dealing with Samsung or with cellphones in general?

If this a driver issue, where can I get the drivers for Ubuntu so Ubuntu can recognize the Samsung Duo phone?

Try plugging it in on Windows 7, dragging down the top bar on the phone and you should see something like 'USB Connected. Click here to enable file transfer'.

If you click that, a couple of minutes later, Windows should detect it as removable media.