New Build

sparkyftw

Well I have decided it is time to build a new computer, as my desktop is, well, outdated to say the least.

I have decided on AMD over Intel, since I don't want to spend a ton, I started with AMD many sockets ago. No need for anything expensive. Mostly will be doing gaming, but there may be some CAD and modeling done in it. I also want something that will still be competitive for awhile.

Last time I did a build was when C2D was all the rage oh... what seemed like 5 years ago. I stopped paying attention to hardware in college, and don't really know where to go with it. I figured I have bothered Dr. Bowtie enough, so now I come to bother you all. I may do some minor OC, who knows.

So down to the meat and potatoes of the build

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 AM3+

AMD FX-8150 3.6 GHz

G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 16gb DDR3 1866

I will be reusing my harddrives (maybe buying a new SSD for the OS), power supply (corsair 750w), and case (antec 900). I am leaning towards an nVidia GTX 660 ti. Cooling will be determined soonish, deciding on air or water (plus new case). Definitely won't be stock cooling though.

Comments and Concerns?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I built one a couple of months ago and would have loved to try AMD 8150 but ended up getting such a deal on a i5-2500K / ASRock from Micro Center that I couldn't justify using AMD. I've used 3 ASRock in the last year and must say they were excellent. The combo deal was not an Extreme model and even that one was great.

Definite yes to SSD. I have 3 in different systems. OCZ is the slowest, Plextor is much faster and Samsung is outstanding. That said, even the OCZ Agility 2 is a pleasure to use.

I have both Antec 900 and 300 and for the money (think it paid 30 something shipped but never saw that low again), I like my 300 better. It is basically a 900 with less dressing. Cleaning that top fan on the 900 is a pain. Just a thought.

They are practically giving away the Hyper 212 at times. It can at least give you some OC headroom while deciding if you need more.

No clue on graphics ... I'm a bottom feeder.

Good luck, just happened to see your post and offered my 2 cents, and that is more than it is worth probably.

Edited by Syngensmyth

How much are you looking to spend, and are you willing to buy used? Things being more efficient these days, and if you're not getting a 2nd card in SLI, you can opt to get a cheaper 600W PSU compared to a 750W to save a little more money. The Antec 900 is still a nice case, why upgrade? If custom watercooling, then yeah, I guess.

Definitely go the i5 2500K or i7 2600K route with a Z68 motherboard. No need for more than that. I managed to snag a great Z68 motherboard and i5 2500K for $175 new a long time ago, but you can find about the same deal buying used from people.

How much are you looking to spend, and are you willing to buy used? Things being more efficient these days, and if you're not getting a 2nd card in SLI, you can opt to get a cheaper 600W PSU compared to a 750W to save a little more money. The Antec 900 is still a nice case, why upgrade? If custom watercooling, then yeah, I guess.

Definitely go the i5 2500K or i7 2600K route with a Z68 motherboard. No need for more than that. I managed to snag a great Z68 motherboard and i5 2500K for $175 new a long time ago, but you can find about the same deal buying used from people.

I am not against buying used. Most of my builds have been used parts. I think every stick of ram and CPU I have used in the last... 8 years was bought used from Doc.

I would like to SLI but it may be out of my cost range right now. I am using the 750 because I already have that, along with the case. I will look into the i5 route.

Thanks for the advice both of you.

Like El_Cap said, it would help if you gave us the budget you had in mind.

I would definitely go the i5 2500k / Z68 route instead of the AMD route like the others recommended.

I want to keep at or around 400 for ram, board, and cpu. Video cards can come later, but I am thinking around 300-400

I want to keep at or around 400 for ram, board, and cpu. Video cards can come later, but I am thinking around 300-400

You might be able to find someone wanting to part with their Sandy Bridge system to upgrade to Ivy ...but most early adopters probably already took the bite.

Do you happen to live near a Microcenter? They typically run specials on the 2500k and you can get it cheaper there than online. Before Ivy released you used to be able to buy it at $180 ...not sure what they sell it at now. I can price out a $380ish system on newegg but it would be a real skimpy motherboard.

I would go 16GB if you can afford it, not because you need it with CAD but because it will soon be the new defacto. You could easily get by on 8GB, especially if your not heavily into CAD. You don't need 1866Mhz RAM, waste of money - 1600Mhz is fine.