WhenKittensATK

Windows 8 Compresses Wallpaper

I think this ruined my day. Apparently the issue goes all the way back to Vista, but there were workarounds. At least until Windows 8, where they removed all the workarounds sad.gif The compression in Windows 8 is much worst. Artifacts and color loss. I don't think I will be using Windows 8 on my gaming rig, since I would use desktop a lot more than my HTPC or laptop. I really don't see why they need to enforce always on compression especially on small file sizes. Lets try and not turn this into a Metro thread.

Update: It seems the image uploading sites removed/replaced the images so I removed the links.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

How come they're bigger files :huh:

Saved screenshots as png/bmp to keep quality of screenshot vs jpeg.

Edited by AZNguyen

Damn that is indeed scary !.. Yes i wouldn't use it as a gaming PC as yet. I Would wait a while, and let them work out the bugs before i use it on my gaming PC, much like how i did with Windows Vista. :D Used XP all the way, until SP1 of Windows 7.

When are they going to allow the stock image viewer to view animated .gifs as well as be able to have them as an animted background like XP.

I know this is not what you're talking about, but I actually like the win 8 version of the first pic, since the artifacts give a somewhat gritty look, which in my opinion enhances the picture :)

I know this is not what you're talking about, but I actually like the win 8 version of the first pic, since the artifacts give a somewhat gritty look, which in my opinion enhances the picture :)

It looks like crappy compression artifacts to me. Hopefully they'll fix it...

*edit- the good image stuck through the reboot but then reverted again when I refreshed the desktop. Sucky.*

I've been trying to find work arounds for all the wallpaper compression and artifacting, if you go to

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles (or maybe %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Photo Viewer if you used that to set your wallpaper)

there should be an image called "CachedImage_blablablabla.jpg" thats about 160kb

If you replace it with a fullsize image, click on the desktop and hit refresh, the good non compressed image should load. Make sure you rename your picture to match the name of the old CachedImage file.

If that works, there is another file called "TranscodedWallpaper" in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

that you need also need to replace with a renamed version of your fullsize image. This made the good wallpaper stick after a reboot for me.

Wont work with a slideshow because the slideshow will generate a new crappy compressed cache image.

I've been trying to find a way to disable the transcoding altogether or at least change the quality but no luck so far.

Edited by fredknex

*edit- the good image stuck through the reboot but then reverted again when I refreshed the desktop. Sucky.*

I've been trying to find work arounds for all the wallpaper compression and artifacting, if you go to

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles (or maybe %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Photo Viewer if you used that to set your wallpaper)

there should be an image called "CachedImage_blablablabla.jpg" thats about 160kb

If you replace it with a fullsize image, click on the desktop and hit refresh, the good non compressed image should load. Make sure you rename your picture to match the name of the old CachedImage file.

If that works, there is another file called "TranscodedWallpaper" in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

that you need also need to replace with a renamed version of your fullsize image. This made the good wallpaper stick after a reboot for me.

Wont work with a slideshow because the slideshow will generate a new crappy compressed cache image.

I've been trying to find a way to disable the transcoding altogether or at least change the quality but no luck so far.

Maybe there could be a light freeware program written to automate that in the future (since I doubt Microsoft will ever fix the problem)