Sign in to follow this  
InCrYsIs

Top RPGs of all time

i can live with that :lol:

great explaination :thumbsup:

I should be fair to Mass Effect though it does have this whole thing going where your choices affect what you do but by the same token it doesn't really fully satisfy RPG and has always been contentious.

Mass Effect 2/3 are full blown action/shooters. Mass Effect 1 on the other hand was a masterpiece :D

also, how the hell did I forget about Chrono Trigger?!

Edited by _TheAlexO

Not sure on the order still since it's a rather tough question, but...

1. Baldur's Gate 1

2. Baldur's Gate 2

3. Fallout 1

4. Fallout 2

5. Final Fantasy VI

THIS a THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

:withstupid:

What is wrong with you guys the 1st 4 are unquestioning winners.

I just change the 5th one to Morrowind.

people who say mass effect and fallout 3 and onwards are rpg' then i don't understand their logic,

its a shooter with decent story telling and stats upgrade imo.

ME and FO3+ are RPGs with shooter elements...compared to games like Borderlands and STALKER, which are shooters with RPG elements.

The different is predominantly in how the shooting mechanics and damage calculations are done. ME and FO3+ emulate shooters, but your damage is determined by "die rolls" rather than twitch skills. Your skills/perks matter more in determining your success in those games than your ability to aim and react quickly.

Mass Effect 2/3 are full blown action/shooters. Mass Effect 1 on the other hand was a masterpiece :D

also, how the hell did I forget about Chrono Trigger?!

ME 2/3 are RPGs there is no argument. Mass Effect 2 came in at #57 on IGN. IMO a little low. So far that list is full of games I have not heard of let alone played.

Edited by InCrYsIs

ME 2/3 are RPGs there is no argument. Mass Effect 2 came in at #57 on IGN. IMO a little low. So far that list is full of games I have not heard of let alone played.

Which list at IGN?

Again, I think that line of thought is complete BS. ME1 stands on its own. The decisions you made in ME1 impacted the story in ME1. It shouldn't matter the impact (or lack thereof) they had in later games.

Because it's primarily a shooter, just like Borderlands.

Wrong the decisions you made in ME1 impact ME2 and ME3. The promise was the decisions you made in ME1 impact the decision trees you will receive in ME2 and ME3 which in turn will also impact the overall ending you receive once when you finish the storyline.

Again, I disliked ME1 because I found the gameplay overrated, boring and uninspiring. Not to mention the slow, clunky controls were just BAD. I just never trash talked the game before because its usually not my style to trash talk games I don't like ...UNTIL Bioware decided to piss on all of their fans. If people like you want to lap it up, fine, but I will not reward some developer (usually it is the publisher that pisses on the fans instead of the developer) that treats their fans like second rate morons.

The only thing good about that game was the story and like Fellowship of the Ring, it is merely one part of a greater whole. You can enjoy each one on their own but you know its not the whole story. And just like if Return of the King dropped the ball and made no damn sense, I don't care how much I enjoyed FotR and TT I would be pissed I wasted my time reading them to find out RotK sucked. For me, ME1 is an investment to a greater story. You don't have to agree with me, and I honestly don't expect you to, but it is still a valid point.

But while we are unjustly waving the BS Flag, I don't see how someone can rank a game in their Top 5 ...or even Top 3 and still have not played the sequels especially when the sequels are so closely tied to the original. If I am going to throw a game into my Top 5 or Top 3 it is a pretty damn epic game that I want more of. I certainly wouldn't rank games I have more fun with and desire to play below it in my rankings like you did.

ME and FO3+ are RPGs with shooter elements...compared to games like Borderlands and STALKER, which are shooters with RPG elements.

The different is predominantly in how the shooting mechanics and damage calculations are done.

ME is a RPG because the class you pick determines your biotic powers and those become far more important than your weapons by themselves. It makes too many sacrifices that most true RPG (i.e. less sub-genre) fans are not used to. So I can see why someone who primarily plays RPG games would not want to consider ME a RPG.

I think ME borrowed HEAVILY from the System Shock series which I would say did a better job of the RPG elements than ME did - mostly System Shock 2. If it wasn't for dictating a class with Commander Shepard I would liken ME closer to Bioshock than System Shock 2.

PS: I'm going heavier with this response because you are going into the gaming industry and I want developers to take pride in their work and not sell out when the going gets tough.

Edited by Fogel

Aha, nice, thank you.

is it just me or a games 40 through to 1 just not there on the list?

Most likely because IGN is still adding to the list. They usually do those with 10 games at a time once a week or so.

Aha, nice, thank you.

Most likely because IGN is still adding to the list. They usually do those with 10 games at a time once a week or so.

Yeah IGN likes to keep you coming back. Review in progress is now a favorite thing they like to do....get those hits up.

Yeah IGN likes to keep you coming back. Review in progress is now a favorite thing they like to do....get those hits up.

That stuff makes me mad. I don't want a running list of whatever the reviewer is doing in a game a week before I can even buy it... I just want to know if it's worth a purchase! :lol: