Ubuntu On A Tablet?

gebraset

If I was going to get a tablet, I would definitely get a linux distro to run on it. I don't know how you would go about installing it though. Can you boot up from a thumb drive on tablets?

Edit: I see you can copy the Ubuntu image to a SD card, and boot up from that.

Edited by 90sgamer

Yes, they can be run as a base operating system. On a number of Phones like the Galaxy Note as well.

I myself got the Gooseberry Board, which is basically a tablet pull out board, and it's running android. It's supposed to be running Ubuntu, but there is no official support even my ARCHLinux, because there is some issues with booting the image up. It doesn't always boot upp :(

So it seems like it can an does work. Does anyone have a picture by picture tutorial, or maybe a video of it? Like I said, all I see on the Internet and YouTube is people running Ubuntu alongside of Android (AKA, rooting it before hand to make it work).

So it seems like it can an does work. Does anyone have a picture by picture tutorial, or maybe a video of it? Like I said, all I see on the Internet and YouTube is people running Ubuntu alongside of Android (AKA, rooting it before hand to make it work).

It doesn't actually wipe out the Stock android OS, but it's more like a multiboot system. If you have the Ubuntu image on your SD card, insert the SD card, and then it should automatically boot to the SD (ubuntu) , or remove the SD,and it will boot to Android.

The installation procedure varies from tablet to tablet, and the Ubuntu/linux based image varies from tablet to tablet.

But usually the process is something like Downloading the OS image from the the developer's site, and then Writing the Image to the SD card using a program like Win32 Disk Manager or something.

If a developer has compiled a custom Ubuntu image for the tablet, then it's simple. It should have most of the drivers or something pre-installed.

More complicated than I wanted it to be, lol. Was hoping for a pure wipe out. Oh well, good info thread I suppose. Probably just going to grab a cheap old laptop instead of a tablet, depending like I said on the price of the Surface and other Windows 8/Android tablets.

More complicated than I wanted it to be, lol. Was hoping for a pure wipe out. Oh well, good info thread I suppose. Probably just going to grab a cheap old laptop instead of a tablet, depending like I said on the price of the Surface and other Windows 8/Android tablets.

Depends on which tablet you get. Some tablets have pretty good compatibility with Ubuntu! Most of the threads are at the XDA forums. Though Grabbing a cheap old laptop might be better in most cases.